October **SPECIAL** "National Pizza Month!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS All Month!!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our October SPECIAL Throwdown Category is...

"National Pizza Month!"

2401808_Will_work_for_bbq_zps61c2c80b.jpg

This was Will work for BBQ's 2nd place entry in the 2013 Pizza Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

1. Cook pizza on your grill or smoker or other outdoor cooker.
Any style you like - thick or thin crust, Neapolitan, NY Style, Detroit, Chicago, etc, it's all good!

2. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED and encouraged for this Throwdown only!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/29 through Monday 10/30/23.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Tuesday 10/30/2023.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Redneck contraption instructions needed :pound::bounce:

Last edited:
Question?

Would a calzone be considered as a TD entry?

Thanks y’all

Good question!

There's two schools of thought on that, one is the strictly purist viewpoint which it is not pizza, because it doesn't look like a pizza and is more of a turnover.

The other viewpoint is that it IS a type of pizza, as it has the same ingredient profile as pizza(sans sauce), just shaped and put together differently, not unlike a Stromboli, also another kind of pizza.

Our opinion on the matter falls into the latter category, so yes, it is considered pizza - bring it on!

Good question!

There's two schools of thought on that, one is the strictly purist viewpoint which it is not pizza, because it doesn't look like a pizza and is more of a turnover.

The other viewpoint is that it IS a type of pizza, as it has the same ingredient profile as pizza(sans sauce), just shaped and put together differently, not unlike a Stromboli, also another kind of pizza.

Our opinion on the matter falls into the latter category, so yes, it is considered pizza - bring it on!

Calzone. A pizza that is a flop. Literally. That’s how I saved my failed pies :laugh:

On a serious note, like Moose said, bring it! :thumb:

I have been making some decent pies in the home oven on steel. But my wife doesn't like the lower temp, longer bake times. Our oven only goes to 500. I decided to try the steel plate out in my Emozione. I was shooting for around 600-625F or so. It worked out quite well. It was a shorter cook compared to the home oven, which doesn't dry the rim out near as much. But still get the no flop crunch on the crust from the steel.

I did a white and red pizza, and had a bunch of plated slice pics, but they are all rotating on me, so this is the pic I'm submitting. Basic cheese pizza, mostly sauced underneath the cheese, then I added a few dollops of sauce on top. Cheese combo of WMLM and fresh mozz. Finished post bake with Parmigiano reggiano, basil and EVOO drizzle. 48hr cold ferment dough.

Attachments

• 20231021_180556.jpg
    20231021_180556.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 75
  • 20231021_215002.jpg
    20231021_215002.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 140
Back