Oaklahoma Joe Highland

Great purchase, Scott. The OJ Highland was my first offset and I cooked some good food on that. As far as the mods go, you can make yourself crazy trying to seal it and stop leaks. I went through a few rolls of the adhesive felt and tubes of sealant but found, after investigation on this forum, that it wasn't really necessary. Sealing air intakes works best for charcoal/lump cooking where temp control is critical, and I learned here, that for a stickburner, the best temp control is the size of the fire. Simple, I know, but it didn't register with me at the time. I did cut an aluminum pan and used part of that as a baffle to divert the heat from the firebox opening downward as it entered the cook chamber and used the 'flavorizer' bars (sold in any hardware stores) in a spread out position underneath the cook grates to diffuse the heat evenly. Hope you enjoy it and be sure to post some pics.

Great advice Ron, I think you’re right. The main mod I would make is to even out the temp with the grates and some foil. It seems from a lot of videos online that sealing it up more helps with the air flow of the unit. Did you have any issues in your cooker keeping the fire clean with enough oxygen? That’s my only concern with the leaks.

I have had mine for 2 years now and the only mod I did was add a convection plate, that really helped even out the temps. It does produce some really good food and I am happy with it. Got mine at a WalMart end of season sale for $155. I would LOVE to get a great smoker but the cost PLUS the shipping just makes it too steep a price. The OK Joe is the only off set smoker I have ever had or used. I would say to pick it up, do little mod and use it for a few years till you are ready to get a better smoker.

Back