Numbers make sense?

enasnidx

Full Fledged Farker
Can you guys validate my calculations or suggest any changes I need to make?

Brisket and STL Ribs for 200 people at a grad party. Being in MN, I'm thinking about going with a slightly higher ratio of ribs vs. brisket (maybe 55% ribs, 45% brisket). Here's how I'm figuring my numbers:

Adjusting for higher rib consumption - 2 bones per person, 220 people
Adjusting for lower brisket consumption - 4 oz. per person, 180 people

= 40 racks of STL spares @ 11 bones per rack
= 75 lbs. uncooked brisket @ 60% loss

What do ya'll think? Am I figuring too high on the portion size for a two-meat grad party? Should I adjust anything?

Thanks all!

I usually get 10 usable bones per rack, so I would go with 44 racks of ribs.
I think you are a little light on the brisket. When I cook larger briskets, I get closer to 50% loss. 4 oz per person x 180 people=720 oz (45 lbs) cooked. 90 lbs raw. I would go as far as 95 lbs. Just my .02

I would try to find out who makes up the 200 ppl on the guest list. How many casual friends vs family and close friends. In the few grad parties I've catered, only half the ppl eat because they are going to multiple parties that same day. Or they are just stopping by to be nice since they were invited, and it the daughters boss or vice versa. I'd be very surprised if all 200 eat. Most people dont go to a grad party ready to eat a full meal. Maybe people have had different experiences than I have.

Back