Nothing special, just felt like brisket. Oh, and there is a TD going (Pron)

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
So, I pulled the last of a smoked point out of the freezer a while back and the wife loved it. First time she has ever told me that she liked one of my briskets. The rest of the time, she has said to cook it like her friend does in an electric roasting pan. So, since she finally likes mine, and we are out of it in the freezer, AND, since there is a Throwdown going, what the hell...

Went to HEB last weekend and didn't care for the select packers in the fridge. I asked a friend that works in the meat department if they had any choice or prime packers in the back. He said that they had primes, but no choice. I asked if he could let me look, and said bring the whole case as I wanted to pick. He came back with a case of five, three smaller and two larger briskets. I pulled each out and naturally the two best looking ones (marbling, thickness of the flat, and floppyness) were the two large packers. They weren't priced, he said they don't price primes until ready to sell in case the price changes, so he went back and came out with both just under 15 pounds at $3.37 per pound. I took them both, put one in the freezer for later and the other in the fridge to wet age a little.

92F5D372-98C0-4577-BA6B-7248E0882B9F_zpsg0yaztau.jpg

Planning on starting the cook Thursday night for Friday dinner, so Wednesday night I cleaned out the firebox, and loaded it up for a long cook. Mixed the old KBB with a bag of new, and threw in some Cherry and Pecan chunks.

A547DFEE-592D-4430-A14F-0996CB0904EB_zpsojvkk57b.jpg

CCBEDB52-96E5-47D8-AB35-5816275B71BD_zpshejecr1y.jpg

While watching Kobe go out with a BANG!, I pulled the brisket out, expecting to have to trim a pound or two of hard fat. I trimmed 8oz of of it, and I was digging for fat that I would have normally left to get that much. I just felt like I should be taking more off, but this packer was already nice looking.

FFA3358A-363B-42AB-938B-7877590234A0_zpsvhfgathi.jpg

B1D740DB-6EB1-4A60-85F5-2F798796DB01_zpspfrn9mon.jpg

Flip it upside down in the sink, rubbed some olive oil on it, and hit it with some SPOG, and a little Chipotle powder, and Jalapeño powder. I think I have said it before that we like it spicy. Let it sit for 15 mins and flipped it right side up and repeated the rub on top.

D3088AB9-1DF0-4EEA-AEDE-A656A425162B_zpsb3pxpsin.jpg

Threw the packer on a cookie sheet, wrapped it in Seran Wrap, and put it in the fridge over night.

Working in the office today and have a couple errands to run after work. Once I get home, I will fire up the pit, catch it on the way up, and throw the Guru on it set at 225*. I figure at around 14 pounds, and being prime, if I get it on by 9 pm, it'll be done some time around noon, give or take 2 hours. Plenty of time to rest before an early 4 pm dinner.

More to come...

Last edited:
Got home right at 7 pm. Long day, but I got work to do. Said hi to the wife and her friends, changed clothes and headed out to the pit. First thing I did was took the torch to the coals.

5E4C765F-E066-48DE-8BA2-26D60C75862F_zpspniooaov.jpg

CF42361A-1C61-45F1-A94E-41BBBC0D526C_zps4q5a6kut.jpg

Got her all closed up with both intakes and the exhaust wide open. Next was a new set of batteries for the Maverick and setting up the Guru. Since it overshot last time (supposed to be 325* for chicken and it ran at 333*), I set it for 200* when I want 225*. That way when it hits 200, I'll close the second intake completely, the exhaust half way, I can reboot the Guru and set it for 225* and it should crawl up there. Climbing through the 170*'s now.

Back in an hour or so when I load the meat...

Knowing that you cut your teeth on a WSM I'm almost shocked you are worried about the pit running 8 degrees high than your target temp :razz:

I hear you Kevin, I guess I just expected tighter control with the Guru. It just continues to go higher than it's set. Might be too much air coming in when the fan is off. I have closed the baffle down to about 1/3.

More pics below...

Fire was up to temp, well, a little higher by 9 pm, so I pulled the packer out of the fridge, hit it with a little more K salt and pepper and time to go in for a nice smoke nap.

1A4849C1-9978-4D94-852B-9469A650D60B_zps7xcgs0bl.jpg

1A7B061D-A624-4484-985C-18FDF5E7BF98_zpssquiiidm.jpg

7A01B52D-E75C-45F5-BB74-AEAA1719DC79_zpsnksp34me.jpg

After 11 pm, been on for a couple hours, looking good.

38B8E842-3DB3-4E90-8164-CC378D49096A_zpsfdcddsyc.jpg

I still don't understand the Guru, but, it's close enough for BBQ...

CA05DFC8-22BC-459A-84E0-097AB2B6CDDB_zps7fhp7sxi.png

I am beat. Gonna grab a couple hours sleep and check it again.

The Maverick woke me up around 3 am with a temp too low warning. Couldn't have burned through all that already. Went and checked and it wasn't halfway through yet. I think the Guru fell asleep. While I was checking everything out, it came back to life and starting blowing 100%. Took a picture while I was up...

C7A045EF-D4C0-4828-9705-82667E6FEEAC_zpsudwcm1uf.jpg

Up and time for work, no other issues during the night, but have to check her out. 11 hours in...

DC3F6841-BF47-423E-9BBB-DA751DD73709_zpssf8azcj7.jpg

Not sure what the IT is as I unplugged that probe earlier. I don't think I had it in right and it was reading way to high, way too quick. I know it's not tender yet...

More to come...

I am going to try my hand at an overnight cook of a brisket tonight. I'm sure glad you said what you did about the Guru going to sleep. That bothers me so I will hook up my Maverick as well.

Your brisket is every bit as nice as I knew it would be. :bow:

My Guru used to fall asleep occasionally too. Tracked the issue down to the Pit Viper fan. Even with the Guru telling it to blow at 100% by the time the temp dipped, the fan wasn't coming on, and I could make it go on and off just by tweaking the wire this way and that. Turns out the issue was a faulty solder contact where the power wire goes into the fan housing, probably the wire got pulled one too many times by yours truly. I opened it up and resoldered the the wire to the board and reinforced the routing of the wire with some chewed chewing gum (much to the chagrin of my electrician father-in-law, who was only in charge of the soldering)...been rock solid ever since...no falling asleep anymore.

Brisket is looking crazy good already. Looking forward to the sliced pics.

Thanks for the info. First time it has happened, so I'll make sure I keep the Maverick on alert too. If it happens again, I'll go back to the company. This is only the second time I have used it and I have been careful with the wires...

Brisket done and resting. She was around 196* IT when the probe went through the point and the flat easily. Put it on the counter for 20 - 30 mins, then wrapped it up and into a warm oven. Will slice it around 3 pm. Smells good...

7F8EB0C4-6259-4E83-9623-ADE1A35579A9_zps7kbjetjn.jpg

Back