Note to BOD members

Polls, critique sheets, surveys, etc. ad infinatim , ad nausea. We fill out critique sheets on a contest and it goes??????? There is no place to look at past contest critiques and perform an evaluation. We are told it is used to TRY and get the organizer to make changes. I can assure you that if these were assimilated and posted on line, the membership would get the organizer to make the changes if they wanted them back.
I, personally, did not respond because it is worthless unless you just want to feel better. The only language and/or polls that the bod will listen to are the ballot polls and that is where we can do the most good from OUR perspective. If our ideas or candidates do not win does not mean that the brethren did not support, it means that we did not get the votes needed to impress our views on the other 3000 members.
For over 40 years I have set in meetings, been on boards, (school, corporate, HOA, MUD, organizations, including Pacific Northwest BBQ Association) to discuss whatever and know that the only real way members can have an impact is be on committees that recommend to the management. Listening to a pod cast after the fact gives you something to do but I really don’t need to perform self immolation. With KCBS, committee membership is a closed item and there is no real method to even get someone to listen and/or participate except at the annual meeting to follow the BOD agenda for the committee.
I would ask who on this forum are members of any of the KCBS committees and who volunteered to be on one? I know I did and I know I am not!
I am tempted to use the beat a dead horse icon but this did make me feel better!!
:-D

Polls, critique sheets, surveys, etc. ad infinatim , ad nausea. We fill out critique sheets on a contest and it goes???????
A BOD member reviews all the critiques and prepares a monthly report for the BOD. When there are serious problems documented they are actually discussed by the BOD. The BOD decides how to communicate to the Organizer and follows up.

There is no place to look at past contest critiques and perform an evaluation. We are told it is used to TRY and get the organizer to make changes. I can assure you that if these were assimilated and posted on line, the membership would get the organizer to make the changes if they wanted them back.
Good idea. Did you write the BOD with this suggestion?

I, personally, did not respond because it is worthless unless you just want to feel better. The only language and/or polls that the bod will listen to are the ballot polls and that is where we can do the most good from OUR perspective. If our ideas or candidates do not win does not mean that the brethren did not support, it means that we did not get the votes needed to impress our views on the other 3000 members.
Excellent comment. Especially we didn't get the votes. With more members of the Brethren than the KCBS it says there are actually a small % of Brethren that care to join the KCBS. It's too bad.

For over 40 years I have set in meetings, been on boards, (school, corporate, HOA, MUD, organizations, including Pacific Northwest BBQ Association) to discuss whatever and know that the only real way members can have an impact is be on committees that recommend to the management. Listening to a pod cast after the fact gives you something to do but I really don’t need to perform self immolation. With KCBS, committee membership is a closed item and there is no real method to even get someone to listen and/or participate except at the annual meeting to follow the BOD agenda for the committee.
So what Committee heads did you write asking to volunteer? Did you explain why you would be a good member for that committee? Remember the people forming the committees don't know you or most don't so you need to convince them that you would be a good member that can contribute.

I would ask who on this forum are members of any of the KCBS committees and who volunteered to be on one? I know I did and I know I am not!
I am tempted to use the beat a dead horse icon but this did make me feel better!!
:-D
I am on the new ideas committee. I was asked to join it as opposed to volunteering. Been on it for a few years.

The committees do very little,
because the committee chairs do very little group work
The new ideas group is probably one of the most active

According to the stats at the bottom of the front page there are 3097 active members of the Brethren. I would guess that less than 10% are Members of the KCBS and probably even less than that even vote. So I am not sure where the number of Brethren is more than the membership of the KCBS is coming from. A large portion of the members here are not active, as evidenced by the difference in the Active Members and the Members....

I never got a survey either... Wish I had...

It's good to know that you (Ford) are on the new ideas committee, I've got a couple that I'd like to send you if you think that it's the correct route to take...

Back