THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Hello folks

I know this is sort of off topic however I thought I'd throw it out there as a lot of people on this forum are foodies. Has anyone tried to make a ham in a similar fashion to jamon iberico or even prosciutto?

Thanks
Sam

It would be kinda hard to find that type of pork in the U.S. If you did find it I think they are fatten on acorns, . But there are some place that have acorn feed hogs

I think that few of us have actually made a real salt-cured ham. For me, I just do not have the resources and room to hang a pig leg in my house or garage.

Hi Sam,

Never done it myself but quite a few people in my family have, I'll post some general instructions and safety tips when I get home tonight if you like. The most important thing is to ensure the salt completely permeates and covers all surfaces - far easier without the bone in.

Yeah, haven't done a whole ham, but done pancetta type cure before... turned out great.

A whole ham and prosciutto is on my list to try soon (hopefully I can start it within the next week) but it will be a complete trial and error... I haven't made anything that was inedible or sent me to the hospital yet... :laugh:

Maybe Thirdeye has and will chime in???

Back