Not Que - Stuffed Melrose Peppers

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
End of August / beginning of September in the Chicago area is Melrose Pepper season. A mild green pepper brought to the Chicago area in the early 1900's by Italians from a town near Naples and beloved by local Italian Americans. If you ever find any, grab a sack. :shock: Get your minds out of the gutter.

xmWvlWrh.jpg

Cut the peppers for stuffing, they a very thin skinned and have no heat, stuff with a mixture of Italian sausage & Mozzarella and into the oven.

wBNlkp5h.jpg

Once they're done, add some homemade Marinara (Phil's recipe is REALLY good) and some Parmesan.

eLQhsYph.jpg

S8fsNo6h.jpg

Add some pasta and a salad and ya got yourself some good eatin'.

x1aNA9Gh.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Melrose peppers you say? New on me but they darn sure look great.

I’ll try em if I ever run across any. Probably not likely in my neck of the woods though. [emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice looking dish Andy! I'd pig out on the pepper's and might not even get to the pasta and salad. Are the peppers thin enough that you don't have to par-cook them?

Looks killer, LYU! :thumb:

Our Northeast local pepper is the Long Hot (don't ask me exactly what it is). It has some heat but it's not blinding. I like to sautee them with garlic and put them on a cheese steak.

I'll keep an eye out for them, I'm sure my wife would love them if they are mild.

Looks killer, LYU! :thumb:

Our Northeast local pepper is the Long Hot (don't ask me exactly what it is). It has some heat but it's not blinding. I like to sautee them with garlic and put them on a cheese steak.

John,
I love the sauteed Long Hots on Italian Roast Sandwiches with sauteed spinach and garlic.

Back