Not Q: Hot Calas

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
Most people who have been to New Orleans are familiar with beignets. However, there are very few New Orleaneans who remember the beignet's rice-based cousin, calas.

Calas were very popular in the late 1800's- early 1900's, but were nearly forgotten if not for a few old-school restaurants. I make them from time-to-time, but not nearly often enough. This morning I made them for the Lil' Spectators breakfast.

picture.php

Calas

1 envelope dry yeast
1 1/2 cups cooked, cooled rice
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Vegetable oil for frying
Powdered sugar
1. The night before you plan to make these, dissolve yeast into 1/4 cup of warm water. Mix with the rice in a bowl. Cover and let stand in a warm place overnight.
2. The next morning, blend the eggs, rice flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the rice. Add just enough water, a little at a time, to incorporate all the dry ingredients. (You may not need any.)
3. Heat the oil to 375 degrees. With a spoon, scoop the rice mixture into ping-pong-size balls. Drop them into the hot oil. Fry for three minutes, till darkish brown. Drain on paper towels.
4. Serve hot, sprinkled with powdered sugar. You can also serve them with syrup.
Makes two or three dozen.

Look Yummy! Never heard of them, but I saved the recipe, for the next time I have leftover rice.

Looks and reads interesting, recipe is similar to the dutch donuts my wife makes. bar the rice.
may get her to make these,
what rice do you use?

Looks and reads interesting, recipe is similar to the dutch donuts my wife makes. bar the rice.
may get her to make these,
what rice do you use?

Long grain or Extra-long Grain is used in most Cajun/Creole recipes. The exception is boudin. For some reason, medium grain rice makes a superior boudin.

Creole Country is my preferred brand, but Mahatma and Water Maid are more widely available. I use Bob's Red Mill stone ground rice flour as well.

David

Back