Northern Tool Kindling Kracker XL on Sale and discount code

I need to go find a stump to mount it on. What height and diameter should I be on the lookout for?

I built an extremely sturdy bench to mount my KK on, it is 18 inches high and 20X20 inch top. 18 inch high with the KK puts the top of the split at a very comfortable striking height, I am 5'11" tall.

Great deal! jump on it. I've had the XL for a couple years and it works great, safe & easy.

Have one myself for a few years and use it for wood for the living room fireplace and my smokers. Bought it years ago from NT and paid around $100 at that time. Definitely go with the XL as you will have a need for the wider gap more often then you think or at least appreciate the difference.

I have both a maul and a Kindling Cracker XL, and I use them for different purposes. Break down large logs into medium splits with the maul and break down the medium splits into smaller splits with the KK.

I find the KK rather fun to use, and I like the precision size splits I can make with it. For the KK, I swing a 4 pound hammer, although a 3 pound one would probably be just as effective. I have it mounted on a 14" diameterblig that's 16 inches long. If doing it over, I would probably use an 18 inch long log for just a bit more height.

XL KK with a 3 lb. mallet.... works really well. I do prefer a "stand" and have used old stumps about 18-20 inches tall. Too bad they rot out. Would like to build something solid but then you need a place for it.

Tip 'o Week..... Put the KK in a sturdy cardboard box to catch the pieces - keeps you from having to bend over so many times.

Mine gets used for the offset but also the firepit wood when I don't want a roaring fire.

Back