No saucing, no wrapping, no Parkay, no nonsense cook

Wow that all looks great.
I like doing those straight forward cooks.
good job.

I use to do comp cooks and always made enough money to stay on the trail. Got tired as you had to stay on top of the latest flavor of the month BS.

The man that taught me to Q cooked the best Q I ever ate. Smoked on a stick burner wood only of course. Simple seasoning and always cooked low and slow. If your looking your not cooking deal with him. I of course adopted that method and perfected it "my way". And it works well.

Recently I tried smoking briskets hot and fast at @ 300. Salt pepper garlic powder and light touch cumin. Wrap at 160 or color, cooked to probe tender @200-205, then into cooler for 3 hours. It's the real deal light low and slow, just shorter cooking time.

That looks so good, every item. I have to say you must be cooking for quite a few people. I think I need more friends.

Most of you know...I'm sort of a traditionalist. Even if I'm not 100% by the book, I try to stay on the straight & narrow using what tools & ingredients I have on hand.

Everything you have posted here is absolutely amazing.

I like all kinds of barbecue. As long as it's good, I don't really care about the region it came from or the methods used to season & cook. But basic barbecue is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. Too much emphasis is put on competition-style barbecue. With everything moving in that direction (including back yard & restaurant 'Q) we are losing our regional roots. And while this cook may not subscribe to a particular region it does show that simplicity results in outstanding food. Some people look down their nose at sauce because it "hides the flavor of the meat"...when those same people will inject, brine, slather, shake on 18 different rubs, over-smoke, spritz with who knows what, and re-season with another 5 rubs at the end. Yeah, they really tasted that meat...

Simple cooks are my forte! I love it.

Oh...and those ribs...as nice looking as they get.

Back