No Reason To Ruin Ribs

I’d never turn down any of the ribs in this thread, love a free lunch!

Ps I always quite enjoyed meat head despite his somewhat cranky persona on twitter, is he not well liked?

I think he’s a jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bob, Smoke Fire had serious issues when released (it still does), I'm not sure, but maybe meathead kept touting the product, even though just about everyone who bought one was deeply disappointed with the product. I've personally had Meathead on my chit list for at least 7 years due to what I considered lousy information he provided to the masses. Every time a new member mentions Meathead, I groan terribly loud. Back on topic, Bacchus2b, those ribs are right up my alley, nicely done!

All the ribs in this thread look great......I generally do the Trigg method, similar to what the OP stated, simply because that is what my family thinks are great ribs.

As to Meathead, when his site was small and he was focused on BBQ mainly, I enjoyed it. His recipes were good, and he provided a lot of background information and technique. His Thanksgiving turkey and Last Meal Ribs were definite winners.........Then at some point, he started listening to himself too much and his head swelled up and he got too big for his britches. He went all weird and took salt out of everything (which I understand, but it's not going to always be bad if you don't dry brine) and started pontificating, acting as if he was the end all be all of cooking. I was already not listening to the dude at this point, and his website is bloated and he's always asking for you to join his Pitmaster's club for money. No thanks. He was one of the "social influencers" that got invited to Weber's media event for SmokeFire. He bought it hook, line, and sinker. He sang the praises from the mountain top......Then when the product got into consumer hands and was a dumpster fire, he doubled down and went on a Twitter tirade about how great Weber is and basically that the people having problems were stupid. He actually resorted to name-calling one night in a Twitter rant.........So, alas, no Meathead for me. As far as I'm concerned, he's a big POS, no matter how many books he has sold or how big his website is.

Cheers, and keep on cooking ribs, no matter how you like them. I got some baby backs going down tomorrow.

Thanks for the information on Meathead folks! He was the main reason I bought a Pit Barrel Cooker so he does have that going for him, which is nice!

Everybody is a mix of good and bad. He's no exception.

It's not so unusual to get a bit of a swelled head in his position.

so I decided to see if I could ruin some ribs today. apparently if you season them with sir porkalot rib rub and cook them @250 until tender, about 4 hours, you cannot ruin them. add as many extra steps as you like, I know I have, but this is all you need to do

eV2c3LEh.jpg

t6x03Xfh.jpg

I've never thought of ribs as the holy grail of bbq or even a particularly hard cook. my only gripe with cooking ribs is that every has done it and they are always compared to the ribs of their youth. I've seen folks smash half a rack while lamenting I didn't sauce them like grandpa used to.

so I decided to see if I could ruin some ribs today. apparently if you season them with sir porkalot rib rub and cook them @250 until tender, about 4 hours, you cannot ruin them. ...
Yup. Good job. I'd give those a "9" for appearance, too.

That recipe is pretty much what I do except we use our "house" rub.

I am often a no-sauce guy, but sometimes before eating I will put a measured 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of sauce on each rib, spread as a thin coat. That amount of sauce augments but does not dominate the meat.

I like to cut the ribs and leave some of the bones showing so I can use that as a handle after I smoke them, then flash freeze the ribs. Then I’ll take some dark chocolate and melt it down in a pot, dip the frozen ribs into the chocolate, sprinkle with Sir Porkalot’s Rib Rub and eat it like a snow cone. It’s the ULTIMATE FAIRGROUND FOOD! :cool:

I made some super easy ribs today too.

Mixed Weber KC BBQ rub that I got on sale yesterday with an equal amount of brown sugar.

Applied rub to the ribs and set in my pit boss top shelf at 225 with a pan of beer and water on the bottom shelf. I had my heavy D stick burning heat diffuser loaded with two oak splits.

Left it alone for a few hours then gave it a coating of sweet baby rays (my wife likes them Sweet with a sticky set sauce)

Pulled them off when they were done and ate them.

I will say that I like the ribs out of my WSM better, but these were super easy to make, good tasting, tender ribs that anyone can make.

From this day on, all Photos of my BBQ platters will have a slice of white bread in them. Others may want to do the same.

I left a crumb of white bread for the after photo.

I didn’t think to take a grill shot with the ribs until after the fact (ribs were on the top shelf)

Last edited:
I made some super easy ribs today too.

Mixed Weber KC BBQ rub that I got on sale yesterday with an equal amount of brown sugar.

Applied rub to the ribs and set in my pit boss top shelf at 225 with a pan of beer and water on the bottom shelf. I had my heavy D stick burning heat diffuser loaded with two oak splits.

Left it alone for a few hours then gave it a coating of sweet baby rays (my wife likes them Sweet with a sticky set sauce)

Pulled them off when they were done and ate them.

I will say that I like the ribs out of my WSM better, but these were super easy to make, good tasting, tender ribs that anyone can make.

From this day on, all Photos of my BBQ platters will have a slice of white bread in them. Others may want to do the same.

I left a crumb of white bread for the after photo.

I didn’t think to take a grill shot with the ribs until after the fact (ribs epwere on the top shelf)

I just spit Big Red out of my of my nose!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ha. And white bread isn't even good for you. I have an aunt that can't even eat it because of the bleach used in it. She was ordered by her doctor not to eat it. As well check out the wiki page for it here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_bread

Notice that the US government ordered every bread maker selling white bread to enrich the bread with nutrients because too many are removed in the bleaching and flour processing. Too many recruits during ww2 had nutritional deficiencies linked to white bread use. That's why you see folic acid on that label you just posted.

So white bread is a bad choice for BBQ because it lacks structure for saucy items. It's bad for you because of the bleaching. And the only reason it's nutrient OK is because of nutrients forced by the government to be added to it. There simply isn't any good reason to use it.

So go ahead and post your pics with white bread. I will post mine with corn bread, hush puppies, flat bread, etc.

Back