Nice sale on pork shoulder

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Don't know how many of you live near (or have ever even heard of) Pathmark but they have a nice sale on pork shoulders. I'm powerless to resist a sale like that so of course I had to load up on them.

I cooked a couple on Sunday just because it was Sunday and I felt like cooking for some friends. Took the skin off (to make a tasty treat for our new bundle of joy German Shepherd) and tossed them into the drum naked. Don't know what the cook temp settled at (thermometer is long gone) and I used oak. Wrapped in BP when they looked good and pulled them when they were about falling apart. Kalani (our dog) was happier than everyone....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Not sure why some of the pics are smaller than others but you get the idea.....

Last edited:
I'll have to check it out although the last bunch of shoulders I got were only a 30% return once cooked. Basically cooking 10lbs and getting 3lbs of cooked meat.

Was that because of skin, bone & fat? I was planning on 40% loss not 70%.
All of the above I assume. (Due note I got my shoulders from BJ's)

If these are whole shoulders they have the upper leg bone, plus some shoulder joint, Most of the meat was on the upper leg bone and not the actual shoulder blade. Then also add in the weight of the skin.

Here is my post about it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196118

Back