THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks to me like you're fixing to be a wood supplier!

I am but I am only going to supply my smoker, lol. Most of that wood is still above 20% moisture, and I am preparing for the future. The pig nut is green at around 44%. I need to find a good supplier of truly seasoned wood. But that is difficult when you are after oak and hickory only, and that it be dry too seems to be asking a lot.

I do wood-turning and dry bowl blanks in a kiln that I made out of an upright freezer with a heat lamp inside. It takes a month or so to dry a rough-turned bowl made of hardwood like sugar maple to around 10%. I'm going to fill it with oak splits and see how long it takes to get it somewhere below 20%. I will add another bulb to speed it up. It should not take too long. I keep the temp low so the bowls don't crack, but splits could be heated a little more. Maybe I will post pictures if anyone else is interested in making one. Happy Black Friday.

Back