THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am very interested in the Smokehouse. I am wanting something smaller to cook on and more portable to carry in my toy hauler than my Diamond Plate Fat 40. Love my 40 for big cooks or catering but hate to fire it up for a brisket or a couple of racks of ribs but want something that duplicates the same kind of cook I am used to. The Over/Under is also appealing because it cooks more similar to the Diamond Plate. Kind of torn between the two.

I would love nothing more...lol. The Academy in Mesquite has both cookers but I am more impressed with the Smokehouse. Grates are angle iron and and not stamped or broken steel angle on the grates. Always wanted a vertical. Have much appreciated your input on these smokers.

not sure how tall the opening(or ceiling) for your toy hauler are, but according to the academy website, the smokehouse is 74.5" tall. yes, it's lower when tipped over and rolling, but unless you haul it on it's side, it'll have to be stood up and strapped down for transport. just some info incase it helps.

Thanks mrbill. Had not thought of that but I went an measured and have 78" clearance on my work and play. I had measured before but could not remember.

DL8gRGml.jpg

8P7Cv63l.jpg

VLRKJm9l.jpg

P4foFQtl.jpg

Last edited:
How easy to add more grates?

Kinda would depend on how handy you are, I'd suppose.

You could sister in new slides, anti tips and fashion more grates as you saw fit. Appears to have a lot of grate space as it sits but there's always some who want more.

You could sister in new slides, anti tips and fashion more grates as you saw fit. Appears to have a lot of grate space as it sits but there's always some who want more.

Three grates is pretty lame for how tall the damn thing is. Why not add more holders and sell grates as accessories for a hefty ransom? Like Weber does...

/shrug - 3 racks that size is a lot of room to me and 6 would not be enough for some others. Maybe they missed out on some marketing. It's possible that if they did have 6-8 rack positions and a stack of spare racks available at Academy, they'd move a few. Dunno.

It looks to be a decent pit as it stands. It's at a good price point- maybe OC had to draw the line to get it to that $$ and call it done.

I think Smitty modded one more rack space into his- to hold a water pan, if I recollect.

It's easy to add grates. Tac weld some angle to sides and build a grate.
It has Plenty of room with the 3 grates. Only reason I see to add grates is if you like to lay Ribs flat, but with the right rib racks you could do 15-18 racks of Baby Backs or St Louis Spares on the existing 3 grates. I added a grate at the bottom to hold a water pan but they now include a removable water pan. Academy sets weight, size and price restrictions so Old Country tries to give the Best Smoker within those requirements/restrictions. Big stores like Walmart, Academy, Home Depot, Lowes etc... you gotta meet their criteria if you want your item sold in their stores.

ordered a third tel tru and install kit. dial face was different so i put it in the middle. had to do some filing to get things to work. but here it is with a thermo in each port.

next mod is to install the lavalock gaskets. after that, i plan to replace the included fire grate w/an expanded metal version. will add more pics as mods are completed

next mod is to install the lavalock gaskets. after that, i plan to replace the included fire grate w/an expanded metal version. will add more pics as mods are completed

I just cut the center out of factory grate and added double layers of expanded criss crossed. Wish I had cut a little more out towards the front and left side but it works....

a8PJ63Tl.jpg

Last edited:
I just cut the center out of factory grate and added double layers of expanded criss crossed.

i know. but, i don't have the tools or talent to do that. internet searching tells me that home depot has expanded metal in sheets close to size i need. i plan to buy a couple then have them cut down to fit the shelving in the firebox.

You could probally take the grate down to a shop and have it done. Expanded will need to be framed with angle or it'll sag after a couple cooks.......

Plus 2 small pieces at Home Depot costs what a Full 4x8' Sheet at metal supply costs......or close.....

a $30 grinder with cut off wheel would cut both the grate and the expanded and you could bolt it in with stainless bolts........

Where are you in The Great State of Texas? me or another Brethren could do it........:wink:

Last edited:
Cibolo
Save

Well thats too far from me unless you like to Drive... but somebody on here oughta be closer and could do it....... or look at Craigslist ads or do a wanted Ad....

Ask the Mods if you can do a Help me mod this grate post......

Back