Newbie looking to buy my first smoker...

I had a WSM, but if I had it to do over again, I'd look hard at a Hunsaker. Versatile, easy and darn nice features at a good price. Take a look.

First off, welcome aboard. So by now, I’m sure you have the general consensus of what everyone here thinks. So I won’t rock the boat either. 300 bucks for the PIt Barrel. Loved it, but was too small. I almost went with the Weber Smokey Mountain 22” versions to replace the PBC. Decided to go another route but if I were you, I’d consider the 22” version of the WSM. I rather have the size and not need it than need the size and not have it.

Consider making your own UDS (ugly drum smoker) cheap, turns out great Q, easy to learn and cooks any type of meat. Also wont take up much space in the garage. If you go offset I would not go with a box store type, I would go with one that can be tuned via plates and or reverse flow...

I have owned three smokers. One bullet charcoal smoker, one cabinet smoker that's electric and charcoal. Then one I have now is a gas cabinet smoker. This last one is the most I had ever spent on a smoker. $150.

If I was to do it over, I'd buy a pellet fed smoker. My local Walmart has them. Not sure on the brand. It's all electric, you fill the hopper with pellets, set the temp (it's digital), let it heat up and drop food on it. It's a like an oven that smokes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...5035&wl11=online&wl12=374371411&wl13=&veh=sem

If you want to go even cheaper, look at 22" or 26" Weber kettles. That's how I started smoking using the snake method. I can get almost 9 hours with minimal charcoal use. I've made very good pulled pork and brisket. The only downside is the space for ribs, you can get a rack on there but 2 is hard and using a rib rack has always made them cook uneven for me so I usually stay away from those. But the kettle is a cheap and versatile tool to have for bbq. You could find a used one on FB marketplace easily. Welcome to the brethren! Don't forget to post your cook here and share your experience with us!

Another vote for the Weber. 18” is about right for starters. I’ve done as many as 6 butts at a time. You can get creative on how to gets lotsa meat on one.

Don't guess you need another vote for a WSM but since ya asked . . .

Another vote for the Pit Barrel Cooker...super easy to use, no need for any modifications and produces awesome Q.

Offset Pros:
Some of the best BBQ you will ever have
If you like to have control over your fire, you can't do much better than this, and you will do a lot of it.
Able to cook a lot at a time (depending on what size you buy that is).

Offset Cons:
They are expensive.
They take up a lot of room.
It is not a "set it and forget it" kind of smoker. You will be tending the fire and adding wood often.

Overall though, I would say it is still worth it. Don't go cheap if you go this route. Cheap smokers tend to leave you with temp and airflow problems.

All that said, I no longer have an offset because I like the ability to set it and forget it, especially for long/overnight cooks.

I love my 22" WSM. I feel like it allowed me to get my feet wet with setting temps (even though I know an offset will require much more work). The PBC is a smoker I am growing interest in, but from what I have gathered you light the fire and it burns at whatever temperature (no human control on temp). I believe either one will serve you well, but my WSM is an excellent cooker.

If you insist on a stick burner, the Old Country Pecos is a good starter smoker for under 500. I started out on an Old Country pit and moved on to WSM 22.5 I still use the Old Country when I just wanna burn sticks. My next smoker is probably going to be a much nicer stick burner.

You can't go wrong with a Pit Barrel or a WSM.

The Pit Barrel is probably the easiest cooker I have ever used.
The WSM offers more flexibility if you are looking to adjust temp
for different cooks or within one cook as it has multiple dampers that you can control.

Again, you cant go wrong with either cooker.
Good luck with your choice.

Back