Newbie looking to buy my first smoker...

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi everyone. I hope not to start a "thing" here.

I'm looking to purchase my first smoker. I probably won't be using it often, and I will most likely want to store it in my garage when I'm not using it.

So I'm wondering about pros and cons of "offset" smokers (including reverse flow smokers) versus the "upright" kind. I've been thinking about one of the Oklahoma Joe's models as far as "offset" smokers, and a friend of mine suggested a Weber upright smoker.

I'll likely want to cook a variety of protein products on it, but mostly I will probably be cooking ribs, chicken, turkey, pork butt, and brisket. Most likely one of them at a time (i.e. I don't see a scenario where I'll need to smoke four chickens at once).

I'd like to try to keep the price tag under $500 if that's possible, but we'll see how it goes...

Thank you all for any advice you can give.

I will go ahead and get it started by welcoming you to the brethren and say that from what you described as your needs, the Weber WSM is exactly the smoker you need. Read the reviews posted around the web, but it is probably the perfect all- around cooker.

Sorry, I had to go and turn my chicken on the grill. The WSM will allow you to do long cooks without having to constantly tend the fire like offsets need. It is able to handle most anything you want to cook and then some. There is nothing at all wrong with an offset, but given your requirements, that is my suggestion.

Are you willing to babysit sticks every 30 to 60 minutes? That will give you a little more direction on which way to go for a smoker.

Johnson Custom Smokers is in your back yard. His smaller pits start at $1500 or so which is obviously way above the $500 you are looking to spend. Might be a good place to look if you ever want to upgrade or just check some nice smokers out.

If you like charcoal smoke taste, WSM or pit barrel cooker earn high marks for ease of use. I have a PBC and it's dead simple and designed for folks that don't want to babysit much. WSM is similar from what I know, although never owned one. I think PBC is $300 and the WSM 22 is $400.

A pellet grill uses wood pellets, resulting in a rather light smoke profile. They are dead easy to use as well, just load the hopper, set the temp and go. You can find fine options for under $500.

The stick burners will need some babysitting and love. You need to "learn" your cooker, find a good temp it's happy at, and pay much more attention during the cook. It can result in some mighty fine food, just your time investment is higher. Only you can really determine if it's worth it. In your price range the metal is thinner and quality is a bit lower, but they can make some great food.

I have the PBC and a pellet grill and use the pellet grill the most for ultimate convenience. I want a stick burner and will get one, hopefully this winter. I'm just watching craigslist for a good deal. I know the stick burner will be used just a few special times a year when the stars align just right and there are no family events or other things distracting me so I can spend the yard time needed to watch and smoke.

That's great news, everyone! A good friend of mine also recommended the Weber Smokey Mountain. That's probably going to be the one, then. I'll have to check one out in person, but that might be the way to go.

But one more question...I don't know what people think of it, but can I use the "Minion Method" with the WSM?

Welcome aboard!! I think a majority of us started by just dipping our collective toes in the water and not wanting to spend much on a "hobby" Yeah... Once you have smoked an awesome brisket, ribs or chicken your hooked and they have you. More addictive than we care to admit.

I agree with the previous posts that WSM is a good staring point for the money, if you like this thing of ours, great, on to a second or third smoker, if not, your not out a lot of $$

Good luck, lots of great information coming from some great people!

Thanks,
Greg

Yes you can. I have a Trail Embers, which is an exact copy of the 22" WSM, and although the Weber's come with charcoal rings (I think), I ordered one for mine and use the minion every time I do a long cook. I just fill the ring with my charcoal and wood chunks, and make an empty space on one side in which to pour my hot coals. Burns from one side to the other.

Where have you been?

Longest time between posts I believe, over 8 years!

Minion Method, haven't heard that in a while, works just fine with the WSM. I don't even bother going as far as that, using a hollowed out small coffee can to add hot coals in the middle before removing. Just pour a half chimney of lit coals/wood chunks over the top of the charcoal grate full of unlit coals/wood chunks

WSM runs the "Minion Method" by design.

Good luck.

I was in the same position 8 years ago...found this site...everyone pointed me towards WSM22. Not fancy or exciting...I wasnt sure it was what I wanted...so I watched craigslist like a hawk..missed a like new one for 200...a week later a new one poppped up for 175. I thought I could always sell it. Still have it...a few mods and it was perfect.

I have been looking to upgrade...but its going to be 2k to get a big jump up. So my WSM keeps chugging along.

I think a 22" WSM and a $50 rib hanging out from Gateway will be slightly under your budget and give you LOTS of versatility. The 18.5 is $100 less, but can get a little crowded for ribs.

Yes, based on what you said look at either the WSM or PBC. The offset will require much more attention on your part, maintain the fire, temps and smoke...but I love doing that! I have an OK Joe Highland, did a few mods and it produces some really great que!

Another option is to check local box stores like Walmart, Lowes, Home Debot etc on grill deals. I've seen other users on various sites (facebook groups, here, reddit) who've been able to step into a either a really nice sale on a grill or smoker regardless of fuel (pellet, gas, charcoal).

You are in my backyard - I'm full of awesome opinions and observations - so if you want you can just message me if you have any questions about offsets, bullets (everyone says WSM but there are others as well that are similar), drums etc.. I've never had a vertical though - I'm up in the Big D - how are the Lions doin this year ?

I had an Oklahoma Joe offset and liked the food but got tired of mending the fire. Also, finding good wood where I'm at was difficult, so sold it. I have an insulated vertical smoker now which can't be beat for cold weather. Probably not a factor where you're at. Just this month I bought a WSM 18" knock-off and was amazed at how easy it was to use. There are plenty of how-to videos on youtube for all kinds of smokers, so check that out too.

And welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
My vote would be for the WSM also. I have the 18.5 and have no problem cooking pork shoulder, brisket, ribs or whatever I have wanted to cook although it does get pretty tight if you have anything over a 12 pound brisket.

Back