New York strip steak question

Polkaholic113

Found some matches.
Whenever I cook steaks, I usually marinate them in Italian salad dressing with some Montreal steak seasoning ,and grill them on the highest temperature I can they always come out great. My local Acme Supermarket sometimes has a sale on New York strip steaks. They are about 3 in thick and every time I've tried to cook them from there they come out tough.. I'm assuming it's a lesser cut of meat. so my question is has anyone tried to cook them on the UDS at a lower temperature. I was thinking around 230 degrees for like 15 minutes or side. Any advice. Thanks

I usually cook them on the Weber. With coals on one side. Give them a good sear and then on to the indirect side basting with garlic infused butter until IT is where I want it. Med rare for me and med for the rest of the family. Always come out great. Only salt and pepper for seasoning.

put 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of kosher salt on each side and rinse them and pat dry after 3 hrs if 3" thick about 1 hr per inch That will break down the proteins and make them more tender

I've definitely had tough meat at certain supermarkets near me. I've succumbed in the past to great sales, but the sales are not great if the meat is tough. It's getting harder and harder to find well-grained meat. What they now commonly sell as prime, wouldn't have been rated choice a couple decades ago. :tsk:

You might try reverse searing them. That produces the best steaks for me. Kosher salt and time also help. NY strips are IMHO a great cut. Perhaps a lower grade. Get a good prime NY strip, reverse sear it and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just for my wife and I, we get a larger porterhouse which gives me a great strip and her the filet that she likes. We both like our steaks med/rare, so I can cook them and still retain the bone flavor.

So I am Just curious about how you are slicing them after the cook. If you are slicing with the grain, NY strips will be tough. If you a slicing against the grain, it's nice and tender. The grain usually runs from the none fat edge to the fat edge. Does that make sense?

I've had really good luck with reverse sear even on tougher cuts like London Broil/Top Round and Tri Tip. Haven't done it yet on a strip but I imagine it would work great.

If I don't smoke them I pan fry them in cast iron with real Irish butter, Just some sea salt and I'm good. NY strips are actually my favorite steaks.

I reversed seared them. They came out good not great.. I think it was the not the best cut of meat... The price was right. But lesson learned.. Thanks for all the advise..love this forum

Back