New UDS cooks w/pron

BigTerp

Knows what a fatty is.
Completed my UDS about 2 weeks ago or so. Couldn't wait to get it some use so last weekend I did a 7# butt and yesterday did 2 racks of baby backs. Both turned out great!! Still learning how my UDS likes to run. I seem to chase temps a bit, but nothing like my old offset. I think most of it is due to my impatience. For the butt I set my Maverick for 220-270 pit temp. Got woke up a few times throughout the night for getting to high. But once it settled in it held temps about 240 for the duration which was about 13.5 hours. Pulled at about 197 and coolered for about an hour to take to my Mother-In-Laws. Everyone loved it. I used a Smithfield bone in butt that was enhanced with "up to 4% solution". That had me concerned but it turned out great!! Will try an all natural butt next time to see if there's any difference.

Right at about 7#'s after trimming.
IMG_20150501_184835_zpseltfg5u5.jpg

Rubbed with Memphis Dust about 5 hours before smoking time. Rubbed a little more right before going on the UDS. My Memphis Dust contained no salt.
IMG_20150501_185313_zpskb1gbobn.jpg

Smoking away about 9 hours in. I cheated and took my first peak. Couldn't resist.
IMG_20150502_105105_zpshyzdstap.jpg

IMG_20150502_120505_zpsakra8jsj.jpg

DONE!! Turned out excellent.
IMG_20150502_151235_zps8zeq6lqs.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Picked up 2 racks of baby backs from my local Food Lion yesterday morning. They were each about 5#'s and cryopacked. According to the label they were all natural and never frozen. I usually get my ribs from the local butcher, but these seemed high quality so I grabbed them up.

Used what charcoal was left in my basket from the butt cook, which was about half a basket. Added 2 chunks of apple and got my chimney started. Rubbed one rack with Memphis Dust (my favorite so far) and the other with some Kamodoe Joe Peach rub that my wife picked up earlier in the week. I dry brined each rack as well with a bit of Kosher salt about 2 hours before I rubbed them. Left is the peach rub, right is the Memphis Dust.
IMG_20150510_142845_zps7gnvcyma.jpg

About 3 hours in.
IMG_20150510_182756_zpshznm9mxp.jpg

Done!! I like to brush on a little BBQ sauce and then sit my ribs right over the coals to carmalize the BBQ sauce a bit. This time it was Sweet Baby Rays.
IMG_20150510_184339_zpsjbng1y6a.jpg

They were awesome!!! I'm partial to the Memphis Dust as it's a bit sweeter than the Kamodoe Joes Peach rub. Also my Memphis Dust doesn't have any salt in it, so the dry brine works well with it. The peach was just ever so slightly salty, so next time I'll skip the dry brine and just rub with the peach rub a little earlier. My wife liked the peach though. Said it was a little more smokey.

Added a little flair to my UDS as well. GO TERPS!!!!
IMG_20150510_192903_zpsqzhbxyvg.jpg

Great build - great cook. A sticker from The Ohio State University may dress it up a bit though.

Back