IMG_0230.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 774
Looks cool! Think the minimal amount of air those small gaps would allow will have any effect?

It has potential. My concern would be the gaps at the top and bottom. Many people run their UDS with the ball valve just barely cracked open. I would also wonder if you could ever put the fire out completely with air still getting in.

its a 2" pipe. My first UDS I had a single 1 1/2" and sometimes wondered if I needed more air. I am concerned about the gaps though. probably won't work, but I'll try it.

Not sure there is much point in finding a replacement for a $9 ball valve..........

where are you getting a $9 valve? I can't find anything under 35-40 bucks.

I assume this is for intake? In that case most are using 3 x 3/4" pipe nipples. Barely leaving one of them open during the cook via the ball valve. 2" ball valves do cost a bunch more and that is likely why everyone uses 3/4". Not sure why your UDS would need that much intake open. I don't think that is typical.

I assume this is for intake? In that case most are using 3 x 3/4" pipe nipples. Barely leaving one of them open during the cook via the ball valve. 2" ball valves do cost a bunch more and that is likely why everyone uses 3/4". Not sure why your UDS would need that much intake open. I don't think that is typical.

i never understood this. You have three nipples, but keep two closed and one partly closed with a ball valve? So why have three?

My first UDS I went with a single 1 1/2" intake. Piped it up to the top and covered it to control air. Not sure I was really happy with that. I think the long pipe was messing with me. Building a second and decided not to pipe the air intake up to the top. Decided to use 2" this time. Figured I could always turn it down if need be, but if I wanted to turn it up for some reason I could.

the other reason I went with one the first time is I didn't have a good hole cutter, so cutting one 1 1/2" hole would be easier than three 3/4 holes. But now I do have a hole cutter. Maybe I should drop back to three intakes.

i never understood this. You have three nipples, but keep two closed and one partly closed with a ball valve? So why have three?

I use the extra intakes when I am bringing it up to temp or if the wind changes and I need intake from a different side. It is easier than moving the drum while it is cooking. I don't have wheels.

My UDS experience is that they want to burn hot. Look at how many post claim this. So it seams to need very little air intakes to maintain a high temp once the fire is going, hence the efficient design. 3/4" as mentioned is big, so 2 inch is great, but you will be running hot. Hard to do low and slow unless you have an airtight seal with that valve.

I use the extra intakes when I am bringing it up to temp or if the wind changes and I need intake from a different side. It is easier than moving the drum while it is cooking. I don't have wheels.

What Johnny said. Having the three intakes with one or two of them being ball valves allows a lot of air adjustment, from wide open for bringing up to temp or cooking hot and fast, to just a little for low and slow. JMHO

One 2 inch pvc ball valve, much cheaper than a metal one, on a 12 in riser no problems for the last 3 or 4 years with this set up. Only runs hot if I leave the lid off to long or let it get to hot at start up but I can bring it down without to much trouble.
Dave

I use all 3 of mine for getting up to temp, and sometimes wind changes. One of the last cooks I did when my temp started to stall, i looked in and could see almost all the charcoal on the side where my ball valve is was burnt to ash in a section closest to the valve. Luckily a good basket shake got it evened out again but thats why i like to switch around the intakes sometimes. Just gives me better fire/temp management.

Before buying my first Lang... was tinkering with a my first home-built project: a fugly looking Double Barrel Smoker... utilizing the 2" threads as an air intake.

PICT0390.jpg

Been there, done that, cooked on it for a year... and scrapped the whole thing.

Back