THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm jealous! All I see is worn out gas grills and brinkman smoke n' grills. I'd have jumped on that in a heartbeat!!

Thanks guys. This thing sat on CL for a few days before I even saw it. I figured it would be gone, but there was both a Lang 84 Deluxe (older with the bullet nose chamber) and this Lang 36 within 100 miles of each other.

I spent hours next to that cooker last night and it was nice. After I got a pork butt onto the Assassin 28 this morning, I began work on the Lang 36. I kept my word and started with a composite brush, then an 80 grit flap disk. I cleaned up some of the welds and removed some splatter. I also descaled some of the hot rolled steel on it, like the angle iron frame around the shelf to give it a nicer appearance. Lastly I degreased it and applied two coats of BBQ paint. I'd say it looks pretty dang good for about $22 in paint.

Prepped:

20140105_103940.jpg

Finished:

20140105_113603.jpg

20140105_113618.jpg

I hand cut a piece of scrap expanded metal I had laying around to better use lump with this thing for the time being. Testing that out by running it up to 150-200 degrees just to cure the paint, so that's what I'm doing right now:

20140105_114505.jpg

I'm going to order a 1/4 cord of white oak and a 1/4 cord of almond wood to get me started. My step dad knows someone with a pear orchard here in the area, so I'm going to see if I can get some pear wood as well. I ordered myself an 8' log rack.

I also ordered some 9 gauge heavy duty expanded metal to build a charcoal basket. I'm probably going to make it a slide out with a matching slide out ash pan below the firebox. Time to get to designing.

I cured the paint, seasoned the rest of the interior and it's ready for it's first cook.

I repainted it again yesterday in satin:

20140111_155522.jpg

Added the finishing touch today:

20140112_142537.jpg

I start on the slide out charcoal basket next weekend using 9GA expanded metal.

Back