New smoker?

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
So…after the latest cook, I got the green light to research new pits. I have pellet and charcoal, so I think I’m ready to dabble in an offset. I’m looking for something that’s easily loaded on the trailer or a trailer model and can hold 9 fill size hotel pans. I prefer the cabinet style because of the 3rd shelf. Considering a TMG 48” Fridge or Shirley elevated straight back. Waiting on pricing for both. Are there any others that I’m missing out on? Total budget is limited to about $4,500.

9 full pans on an offset for $4500 would be a steal. I’d keep an eye out for something used. Steel prices are crazy high currently and $4500 will barley get you a backyard smoker from a top builder. TMG pits are sweet but for the trailer model your looking at it’s almost 6k. Save up a little longer, double your budget, but once, cry once and get a 250-500 gallon trailer smoker.

Last edited:
If you need something that big, you may be limited by your budget to used.

I'm thinking size wise around a 250 gallon 2 shelf would fit your needs if you went pipe instead of cabinet.

You just missed a nice Shirley trailer model advertised here that sold for $2500. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297238

Should be a fun search. Use Facebook and Craigs unless you're dead set on getting a new one.

Today's steel prices and shipping costs really add big time to a new fab smoker.

Edit: Looks like didunoahme beat me to it!

Check out Black Warrior Smokers. They have trailer models that look awesome. Even though their prices went up a bit when the steel prices did, they are still within your budget and located not too far from you.

Yeah, prices of the smokers are within my range, it’s the added cost of the trailer. I already have a 4x8 trailer, so I may look into patio models and a winch for loading/unloading. I’d only be doing it 12 times or so a year…

To do the larger cooks for my BN, it would take roughly 9 pans of sides to feed everyone. You are correct, the hotel pans are 13” wide roughly. 13x3 is 39” of the 44” wide rack. Times that by 3 and voilà, 9 pans. Only concern is draft. Running the pans the other way solves the draft issue, but yes drops me by 3 pans.

To do the larger cooks for my BN, it would take roughly 9 pans of sides to feed everyone. You are correct, the hotel pans are 13” wide roughly. 13x3 is 39” of the 44” wide rack. Times that by 3 and voilà, 9 pans. Only concern is draft. Running the pans the other way solves the draft issue, but yes drops me by 3 pans.

I'm a clown and apparently can't do simple math. haha How big is your battalion? I'm a jarhead who served with 2nd Tanks...roughly 1000 people in that battalion. I ran a BBQ food truck for 3 years in North Carolina and did a couple cooks for smaller sized units...I think my largest was about 300 people and it was a hell of an undertaking. I cooked all the meat on the smoker, and then put it in holding boxes (coolers), and then cooked the sides in the smoker. This way the meat was well rested and the sides were still nice and warm when I started serving.

I do not think you can get a Shiley new on a trailer for that much and keep in mind almost a three year wait but you might find one used in your price range and they come up pretty often . Needing a smoker that big for that many hotel pans like others have said you will need a two shelf 250 gallon pit and your best bet will be used and there is a lot of great pit builder's out there but will have to do your research on them or ask on here .

I'm a clown and apparently can't do simple math. haha How big is your battalion? I'm a jarhead who served with 2nd Tanks...roughly 1000 people in that battalion. I ran a BBQ food truck for 3 years in North Carolina and did a couple cooks for smaller sized units...I think my largest was about 300 people and it was a hell of an undertaking. I cooked all the meat on the smoker, and then put it in holding boxes (coolers), and then cooked the sides in the smoker. This way the meat was well rested and the sides were still nice and warm when I started serving.

I’m assigned to the Airborne School here at Ft Benning. 300 people would probably be the max I feel comfortable with. I have an Assassin 48” grill I used to smoke 12 pork butts for Christmas and 7 briskets this past Thursday for Easter. That’s what I did..cooked meats and rested in cooler, trailered the pit to work and did the chicken thighs and sides on site there. I fed roughly 150 people including kids. My BN Commander asked me to cater the water jump/org day event for the BN. The Assassin worked fine, but it’s not made to handle that much grease.

I’m assigned to the Airborne School here at Ft Benning. 300 people would probably be the max I feel comfortable with. I have an Assassin 48” grill I used to smoke 12 pork butts for Christmas and 7 briskets this past Thursday for Easter. That’s what I did..cooked meats and rested in cooler, trailered the pit to work and did the chicken thighs and sides on site there. I fed roughly 150 people including kids. My BN Commander asked me to cater the water jump/org day event for the BN. The Assassin worked fine, but it’s not made to handle that much grease.

Good stuff and I did see your thread about the Easter cook. Good luck moving forward with whatever you choose.

Back