THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just pulled and foiled the beef ribs. The cooked faster than I expected. Probably because there isn't that much meat. Tasty though...

Mista... The white smoke could also be a hickory chunk igniting. When I use the Minion method in my WSM, I get periods of white smoke as the various wood chunks light.

thirdeye

Bigmista,

Glad you are posting the details of this cook. I checked out the fabrication photo's on your site, nice job. I thought about building one too. I've also looked hard at buying a BDS.

Anyway, the lower door is a good idea not only for adding wood but to be able to give the coals a wiggle & improve airflow during the cook. Stainless adjustable doors for BGE's are about $20 or $30. They could be easily added to a home-made one or to a BDS for more options for air control. You can even get them with a screen slider that is a spark arrestor. If you ever wanted to hook up a Guru, you could do that also.

This one is on my small, but the large door is 4" X 2-1/2", the door on an XL should be bigger, you get the idea.

fb485a7d.jpg

I make the wiggle rods out of 3/16" stainless TIG rods. I sneak them through the vent and up through the grate in the bottom of the firebox.

7797cc51.jpg

Thanks, Mista... My stomach just stopped hurting from dinner, and now I'm hungry again! :-D

Great looking food!

Everything was done in about 8 hours with the smoker still going strong. The white smoke was from the dripping grease. Food was good. And I had great compant. Sami came by for a while. Icemn62 and his wife came by later. We all had a great time!

nmayeux said:
Looks damn good! How does it taste compared to your other smoker?

I really enjoyed it. I didn't do any special rubs. Didn't even put sugar in it. Really smok. Really tender. Really.

Sami, you missed the Brisket and Pulled Pork. I had said I wanted mista's guy to build me an offset 55 gal drum cooker. Mista's drum is a cooking marvel. holds temps for hours, no spikes. puts out food you would slap yo mamma to get. Had a great time. Walked in, Mrs. mista sitting on the couch, introduced my wife and I stepped ouot to look at the smoker. Comeback in after 1 min. The women are laughing and joking like they have known each other forever. The only time the place was quit was while we were eating.

I appreciate both of you guys coming by and you are both welcome anytime.

Sami had beef ribs and fatties and had the first taste of the banana pudding. Icemn62 had brisket and pulled pork. Everybody was happy.

Back