New Smoker choices

Ok, our 2009 season is over, and i mentioned to Susan (wife) that I wanted to sell the FE100 and get a different smoker for the 2010 season.

I think you are the 1st person I have ever seen that wanted to sell their FE-100.

I have a CTO, I absolutely love it. It is a GREAT smoker!! I wish I had 2 of them.

For a non-pellet unit, they sure look nice! Have always wanted to cook on one.

I would tell you to get a Genuswine, but I just found out a few days ago they dont make them anymore!

Doc, you did have a good season, stick with the FEC..and the WSM

Well we did finish out pretty good for our first full season of cooking. Butt seems kinda redundunt, start meat in one cooker then moving it to another when wrapped. our scores got better for the most part as we went through the season, but Im tired of playing with pellets, you wouldnt believe what all I do to maintain temps in it lol

If you have a plasma torch you must have the rest of the toys you could build your own clone of one of the insulated cookers?

Well we did finish out pretty good for our first full season of cooking. Butt seems kinda redundunt, start meat in one cooker then moving it to another when wrapped. our scores got better for the most part as we went through the season, but Im tired of playing with pellets, you wouldnt believe what all I do to maintain temps in it lol
Doc, why start the meat on the WSM, why not cook from start to finish on the FE?

I know you have had troubles with it. Ours just chugs right along.After cooking with a backwoods before and my other pit, if not a fec, I would be cooking on 3 wsm's..But thats just me , and what do I know..:icon_cool

Doc, why start the meat on the WSM, why not cook from start to finish on the FE?

I think the coals add better flavor than just the pellets. Also when i started doing the switch from wsm to fe at wrap time, my score went up

I know you have had troubles with it. Ours just chugs right along.After cooking with a backwoods before and my other pit, if not a fec, I would be cooking on 3 wsm's..But thats just me , and what do I know..:icon_cool

You do very well in comps :razz: Yea I had a few probs that took several months of experimenting to get the temps stable and add more flavor.
Weird thing is, I got razzed for switching to pellets, now may get razzed switching back lol

The way I ran my backwoods was to fire it up without water, get it up to about 300*, load meat, add the water. Then push the lit coals all the way to the back, add as much charcoal as I could fit.

did you use just one or both of the intake sliders after that?

I kind of do the same thing, I just move the coals to the front right corner and try to keep it all under the deflector plate. It seems to me that if the coals catch on the left side near the drain, the water boils away more easily. After I get the coals all loaded I close the back vent all the way and just use the front one cracked a finger or two. I get 8-10 hour burn times fairly regularly....

Stump, Backwoods, or Spicewine are all good choices.....and you'll learn any of those three with no problems.....it's the cook and not the cooker....but they don't hurt anything either...

I own a Spicewine, and there has never been a contest that there wasn't at least one walk in a category that was cooked in the Spicewine.....this last year, the pork was in the top 10 at every contest. http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/Rankings/PRteamhist.cfm?team=BELLY%20BROTHERS%20BBQ&StartDate={d%20%272009-01-01%27}&EndDate={d%20%272009-12-31%27}

she has 3 GCs and 2 or 3 RGCs under her belt. I'm sold on them.

With keeping the FE, the medium Spicewine would be a good choice for you.

I'll help you anyway I can with the Spicewine.....

Stump, Backwoods, or Spicewine are all good choices.....and you'll learn any of those three with no problems.....it's the cook and not the cooker....but they don't hurt anything either...

I own a Spicewine, and there has never been a contest that there wasn't at least one walk in a category that was cooked in the Spicewine.....this last year, the pork was in the top 10 at every contest. http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/Rankings/PRteamhist.cfm?team=BELLY%20BROTHERS%20BBQ&StartDate={d%20%272009-01-01%27}&EndDate={d%20%272009-12-31%27}

she has 3 GCs and 2 or 3 RGCs under her belt. I'm sold on them.

With keeping the FE, the medium Spicewine would be a good choice for you.

I'll help you anyway I can with the Spicewine.....
There's no doubt that the Belly brothers and the Spicewine makes for a good/tough comp...and I will say the spicewines are built to last a life time!

Most of the smokers mentioned so far are really nice cookers and you probably can't go wrong with any of them. At this point it becomes personal preference. That said, my preference is a Stump's Smoker, has been for 5 years. It is as close to bullet proof as you can get IMO, while producing awesome food. All charcoal and wood, no electronics required, 20+ hours of burn time on one load (15lbs) of charcoal. See my website to see how they help me :)

Long story, and have to watch what I say, will have all the FE fans up in arms, my wife loves the FE (even tho she sits up with it all night at comps) I personally dont like the flavor profile, I know i know, (some of us might actually like creosote) lol People I cook for can tell a difference, and ask, why no smoke flavor? etc. At comps I start my meats in a 22.5 wsm for a few hours, then move them to the fe to finish. So figure I might as well save a step and lose the pellets

Sounds like a good plan to me...:cool: Bullets rock baby! :p

Get 2 wsm's

:p:p:p

Spicewine

Call me if you have any questions Doc...
These Spicewine smokers are built to last PERIOD the competition can not say that.

Attachments

• Spicewine%20mods%20004.jpg
    Spicewine%20mods%20004.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Spicewine%20Smokers%207ea%20003.jpg
    Spicewine%20Smokers%207ea%20003.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Spicewine%20Smokers%207ea%20006.jpg
    Spicewine%20Smokers%207ea%20006.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Spicewine Valve Adapter.jpg
    Spicewine Valve Adapter.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Spicewine%20Smokers%207ea%20007.jpg
    Spicewine%20Smokers%207ea%20007.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 176
These Spicewine smokers are built to last PERIOD the competition can not say that.
I can't believe you went there...:-?
And here I was, trying to be nice.

Back