THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gotta keep it under $1000, preferably well under. What I love about the WSM is the fact I can use chunks of whatever wood I need along with Comp K fuel. It's difficult to get (and store) logs, especially post oak that I insist on doing my briskets with, but I can get a Priority Mail large box of post oak chunks for a very reasonable sum, and that usually lasts me 2 seasons. Ideally I'd like to keep using that method. I also have both an original Stoker (don't like it much) and a new Flame Boss 300 blower system.

I'm not sure if my '08 WSM is 18" even or 18.5". I know the year after I bought mine they redesigned the WSM and added the 22" cooker. I'm after whatever I can use to do a 16-18 pound packer on with grate space to spare, or a half dozen or more full racks of ribs with rib racks (again, space problems on the small WSM).

A nice big UDS seems the best price-wise but a cabinet jobbie wouldn't suck either. Trust me, I'd love a stickburner, but it would cause more frustration (and marital strife) than the alternatives! If I can figure out the secret to a perfect Franklin-esque brisket, end-to-end, I'll be happier than a clam. Never had one with a perfect flat. Good, excellent when chopped, but slices always dry. I'm figuring not enough moisture in the cooking chamber.

its very difficult to get above 10 percent humidity in a smoker. some are down around 2%
but, you get close to 100% humidity when you wrap. so if your flats are coming out dry, try wrapping, tightly, or if you already wrap, do it earlier

Cook to probe tender, usually about 203-206°F, wrapping in pink butcher paper during the stall. Big briskets (over about 14#), I use 3 fire bricks wrapped in aluminum foil and I drape the brisket over the bricks so it'll fit on the grate. By the time it's ready to foil I no longer need the bricks due to shrinkage.

Rub is a simple dalmation rub with a dash or two of cayenne, ancho, onion and garlic powders, and espresso grind coffee. And I don't rush the cook; it's done when it's done. The ends of the flats are always a bit tight but the points are to die for.

Hi Here my latest brisket cook.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262209

Thanks DanB

If I can figure out the secret to a perfect Franklin-esque brisket, end-to-end, I'll be happier than a clam.

IMO the only way you'll get a brisket like that it to use a stick burner. I tried for years and years to hit a certain flavor profile, got close, but never all the way until I got a stick burner.

That being said, I think a 22.5" WSM is your best bet since you're mostly concerned with capacity requirements, and there's significantly more real estate on the 22.5". Other benefits being you're already used to cooking on a smoker like that, and if you're using both the 18.5" and the 22.5" at the same time, they'll both behave similarly.

Just to play devils advocate here....you dont HAVE to tend a stick burner all night, you just have to put aside the "thou shall cook low and slow" mindset. Yes, you will have some early mornings if you plan to eat early, but I've just started cooking in advance a lot of the time and reheating day of.

I get it though...I use my Primo for smaller cooks when life just doesnt permit the use of a stick burner.

Agree 100%

I dont brag but EVERYTIME I serve other and new groups from family and family friends that come over and est it for the first time, to groups of 30 and 120 that I've done cooks for they RAVE about the brisket. Everything else as well but the brisket especially. I run hot and fast because all of those big cooks have been in ny so I have had to travel 130 miles and theres a serving time window I must make.

I arrive early, run hot and fast and in 9 hours or under I have brisket, pulled pork and ribs to serve probe tender as they can be.

If I'm in the mood for a 15 hour cook then sure I'll do low and slow but I've been a hot and fast guy as of late

I was in the same delima as you a bunch of years ago and wound up buying the bigger 22” WSM as a second smoker. The 18” along with a 22” should do whatever you want.

Yesterday I was preparing for my 4th of July all night brisket cook on my 22WSM, but really wasn’t looking foward to being up half of the night.

Mid day I saw that Lowe’s had the pit boss 820D pellet smoker on sale for $449 and decided to give it a whirl. In the last 24 hours I made chicken and Brisket on it and both came out really well. If you load it right I am aging you could fit two or more briskets in there. The sale ends on the 9th. Chris
I am sorry, but would you have to stay up "half the night" tending your WSM? I can set it up and go to sleep as normal for 6-8 hours with no worries.

Agree 100%

I dont brag but EVERYTIME I serve other and new groups from family and family friends that come over and est it for the first time, to groups of 30 and 120 that I've done cooks for they RAVE about the brisket.
<snip>
If I'm in the mood for a 15 hour cook then sure I'll do low and slow but I've been a hot and fast guy as of late

I've done hot and fast twice. First one was a fail (flat got overcooked and fell apart as I sliced), the second one was amazingly tender about 85% of the way through, from point through the thickest flat, but, again, the end of the flat was pretty tight. My issue with hot and fast is the lack of black, shiny bark. Meat does tend to come out tasty, but the bark really suffers, and that's a huge part of why I smoke. I used foil back then, however, not butcher paper, so maybe I'm due for a another hot-n-fast cook.

I also find that the WSM is difficult to run at 325°. Vents full open and the side door turned upside-down (I have a spare door with two stainless steel 4" screws through it, so I rest it on the screw threads), and the lid slightly ajar, and even then 325 is hard. It likes to settle around 300 like that.

I've done hot and fast twice. First one was a fail (flat got overcooked and fell apart as I sliced), the second one was amazingly tender about 85% of the way through, from point through the thickest flat, but, again, the end of the flat was pretty tight. My issue with hot and fast is the lack of black, shiny bark. Meat does tend to come out tasty, but the bark really suffers, and that's a huge part of why I smoke. I used foil back then, however, not butcher paper, so maybe I'm due for a another hot-n-fast cook.

I also find that the WSM is difficult to run at 325°. Vents full open and the side door turned upside-down (I have a spare door with two stainless steel 4" screws through it, so I rest it on the screw threads), and the lid slightly ajar, and even then 325 is hard. It likes to settle around 300 like that.

If you start out with more lit coals, empty water pan, and vents wide open, you should not have any problem getting to 325+.

Last edited:

If you start out with more lit coals and vents wide open, you should not have any problem getting to 325+.

He might also be overcrowding it and preventing good 'airflow'. If the WSM can't breathe, temperatures are going to be low as well.

If all else fails, add a fan to put more oxygen in and use LUMP instead of briquettes.

I am sorry, but would you have to stay up "half the night" tending your WSM? I can set it up and go to sleep as normal for 6-8 hours with no worries.

Once stabalised I’ve let my WSM run by itself all night many times, but after a couple cases of waking up in the morning with the thing way off temp I like to check it at least once an hour or so. No matter how well you set it it can still drop temp when the coals load up with ash.

I was also looking for a reason(AKA excuse) to dip my toe in the pellet cooker waters. Now That I tried it I’m hooked.

Chris

Back