New Rec Tec - Thanks Brethren!

lkissell

Knows what a fatty is.
I have been in the market for a pellet grill for the past year. Lots of reading and research, deciding, and then changing my mind again.

To stay within my budget I finally settled on a Rec Tec, but just before I placed my order I was seduced by the siren song of the new, high-tech Traeger Timberline 1300. The new Traeger looked like a huge improvement over their prior grills, and all of the new features were very tempting.

So I went back to the wife, and she agreed to increase the budget so that I could get the Timberline.

Just before ordering I checked this site one final time, and it was then that I came across the Timberline problems thread. I'm SO happy that I found and monitored the thread before making a purchase. While all of the problems with the new grills are terrible, I was even more upset with Traeger's lack of customer support. It really looked like Traeger knocked it out of the park with the Timberline, but unfortunately any goodwill they achieved with the new grill has been lost in the customer support debacle.

So I ordered a Rec Tec along with lots of accessories and a Tappecue Wi-Fi thermometer. The total for everything was still less than the Traeger, and with the Tappecue I can monitor my cook remotely. I did give up the ability to control the cooker using Wi-Fi, but that really isn't a big deal.

So the Rec Tec has arrived and been assembled. Last night I did the initial seasoning run. I am very pleased that the grill performed exactly as promised, and my first naked fatty was a success.

So in closing, many thanks to the Brethren who take the time to post here. Because of this site I avoided making a very poor purchasing decision, and instead ended up with a great grill that will serve me well for many years.

Thanks!

I'll bet it's another year before they get the Traeger figured out. It's strange that some run just fine. And others don't. Rec tec is a good solid choice.

Ikissell - great post! First, congrats on the Rec Tec! I'm certain you, your family, and friends will enjoy years of great cooks and memories on food done on your Rec Tec.

Second, thanks for reminding us that it's not about whistles, buttons, and bells but rather the primary purpose of any smoker is to cook the food very well!

Congratulations, Rec Tec's are very good cookers for the money. I think people make way more out of the WiFi capability then it really makes a real world difference. I know with my Yoder when I first got it I had my tappecue and I monitored everything very closely. Now, I know the pit well enough, I know exactly what to set the temperature, I know how long for any given meat, and the only thing I ever use anymore is my thermapen to probe the meat and check internal temperature. Once you know your cooker a lot of those technology things just are not needed, and something else to go wrong.

Congrats Ikissell

Can you post some pictures and a review?

MSD wanted a Yoder and we would have bought one right away but they are back ordered.

Told her we should look at what other option there are. We already have a GMG and From what I have seen with the Yoder we would love it.

I don't know anything about a Rec Tec so should look

Enjoy the new cooker!

Great choice.

You are gonna really get some great use from it.

You'll never guess where I was this morning..........................

Back