THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

erichasaces

Take a breath!
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerHouse-Generator-Recharges-Emergency/dp/B0196GQAKM"]Amazon.com: [New Release] Anker PowerHouse, The Most Compact 400Wh Portable Generator, Clean and Silent DC / AC Power Inverter, 12V Car, AC and USB Outputs, Recharges via AC or Solar for Camping, Emergency Backup: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4151t6hEgPL.@@AMEPARAM@@4151t6hEgPL[/ame]

I just ordered this to try it out in place of lugging around a generator. I don't use a lot of power at competitions, but I'd be lost without it. Right now you can use the discount code ANKPower for $100 off. I have a bunch of Anker products in my house, and love them all.

Wow. That looks pretty cool! Would love to hear how it works for you...keep us posted. We also have a ton of Anker products in our house...batteries, chargers, cords. They are all much better than what they replaced.

What are you going to power from it?

We are still in an enclosed trailer and pop up tents, so we have a short list of things that we plug into our generator right now. It's just our LED Lighting, an electric knife just to trim brisket, phone chargers, and occasionally a small hot plate to warm up sauce. I'm 99% sure that this will handle everything but the hot plate, and if it can at least handle that, I'll just use gas or even a smoker to heat the sauce.

The electrical engineer on the team says that it "will probably handle that too". But I'm pretty sure both of us are too lazy to put a meter on the plate to find out ahead of time. I'll just do a dry run at home and check it out. Worst case scenario, I send it back. Amazon and Anker are both pretty good about that.

We use 2 of these lights - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJOCDJO/"]Snap on 922261 2000 Lumens LED Work Light - - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51f326ySJoL.@@AMEPARAM@@51f326ySJoL[/ame]

This is the hot plate - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-SB-01-Stainless-Electric-1500-watt/dp/B00IOMYXLS"]Amazon.com: Nesco SB-01 Stainless Steel Electric Burner, 1500-watt: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DCoFU9tbL.@@AMEPARAM@@41DCoFU9tbL[/ame]

Wow. That looks pretty cool! Would love to hear how it works for you...keep us posted. We also have a ton of Anker products in our house...batteries, chargers, cords. They are all much better than what they replaced.

I got a dual port USB charger for next to my bed that was cheaper than the regular Apple one, and charges my phone way faster. Add to that all the USB battery packs, Bluetooth speakers, and other random gadgets, and it feels like Anker is taking over my house. I wonder when they are coming out with a pit control device??

We are still in an enclosed trailer and pop up tents, so we have a short list of things that we plug into our generator right now. It's just our LED Lighting, an electric knife just to trim brisket, phone chargers, and occasionally a small hot plate to warm up sauce. I'm 99% sure that this will handle everything but the hot plate, and if it can at least handle that, I'll just use gas or even a smoker to heat the sauce.

The electrical engineer on the team says that it "will probably handle that too". But I'm pretty sure both of us are too lazy to put a meter on the plate to find out ahead of time. I'll just do a dry run at home and check it out. Worst case scenario, I send it back. Amazon and Anker are both pretty good about that.

We use 2 of these lights - Snap on 922261 2000 Lumens LED Work Light - - Amazon.com

This is the hot plate - Amazon.com: Nesco SB-01 Stainless Steel Electric Burner, 1500-watt: Kitchen & Dining

Here are the key specs...

The Anker powerhouse is a 440Wh capacity. That's a weird spec since most power sources are rated in Ah, but let's go with it :-D This means that it can supply 440W for an hour, or a smaller power draw for longer periods.

The lamp draws 25W - If the lamp is the only thing on the powerhouse will power it for about 17 hours in a perfect world. But, the lamp uses AC power, so it will be running through the inverter on the powerhouse, and inverters are inefficient. Let's assume it is an excellent inverter and it will be 90% efficient. That means it will power the lamp for about 15 hours. If both lights are on, cut that in half.

The hot plate draws 1500W. This is the killer. It will last about 25 minutes :shock: (440/1500) * 90% if you want the math.

Devices like this are meant to charge phones and things that use USB power and really don't have the capacity to power AC devices for long.

The hot plate draws 1500W. This is the killer. It will last about 25 minutes :shock: (440/1500) * 90% if you want the math

Sure, but I highly doubt the plate is going to pull 1500 watts on the lowest setting since it's variable, and I only use it for a few minutes before chicken, pork, and brisket. I'm not saying it will definitely work, but I think there's a chance we might be able to squeak it out.

The electrical engineer on the team says that it "will probably handle that too".

Hope he is not the head cook too! I kid, I kid, but I see no way that would run the hot plate. If you look at specs, a 1500W hot plate is just shy of what a Honda 2000 generator will runs comfortably.

What is the hot plate for? For about $25, my butane banquet style burner is one of the best thing bang for the buck that I have added. Using it to heat sauce, one fuel tank is seeming to last forever.

Sure, but I highly doubt the plate is going to pull 1500 watts on the lowest setting since it's variable, and I only use it for a few minutes before chicken, pork, and brisket. I'm not saying it will definitely work, but I think there's a chance we might be able to squeak it out.

Only one way to find out, right :-D

The Anker powerhouse is a 440Wh capacity. That's a weird spec since most power sources are rated in Ah, but let's go with it :-D This means that it can supply 440W for an hour, or a smaller power draw for longer periods.

The lamp draws 25W - If the lamp is the only thing on the powerhouse will power it for about 17 hours in a perfect world. But, the lamp uses AC power, so it will be running through the inverter on the powerhouse, and inverters are inefficient. Let's assume it is an excellent inverter and it will be 90% efficient. That means it will power the lamp for about 15 hours. If both lights are on, cut that in half.

The hot plate draws 1500W. This is the killer. It will last about 25 minutes :shock: (440/1500) * 90% if you want the math.

Devices like this are meant to charge phones and things that use USB power and really don't have the capacity to power AC devices for long.

From reading the reviews, I saw that the AC outlet shuts off at 160 watts...good luck with the hot plate.:pray:

Are specs the same thing I get on my glasses? Whoa... You lost me after the first line.

Back