THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ironhavoc

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
jason
Ok, time to redo my outdoor kitchen, decided to just to full remodel / build. Looking to get some opinions on a few things.

This is going under a large fully covered back patio. I already have a smaller sink, gas grill, etc (smaller set up). So all the plumbing for waterlines, drains, natural gas, is all there with existing set up.

Things that will go in and/or will stay: Mak smoker (stay on cart) New gas grill looking at 40" natural gas, sink (large sing 20"- 30"), under counter fridge, larger counter space, drawer cabinet, double door cabinets.

Things considering: (looking for opinions thoughts on these)
Kamado style grill ? (will I use it? since already have a Mak 2 star)
Ice machine? (worth it?)
Flat top griddle built in? ( or just flat top insert on the new 40" gas grill)
Vent Hood above Grill? (currently dont have one, but the main section with the grill is about 8" off the stucco wall, so maybe add good vent)
Tile or rock back splash behind grill? (so my stocco wall doesnt get smoke marks and look like crap)
Missing anything worth it?

Note: I live in Northern Ca. so good weather, I use my outdoor cookers probably 2-3 week year round.

Long post, but looking for opinions, thoughts, etc.

Well I’m in the same boat as you. I’ll be following this thread.

Best of luck.

I can grab some pics this weekend and post. Just looking for opinions and thoughts before I pull the trigger on it. Dont want to build it out and wish I added or didnt add xyz. Thats all.

Ok, time to redo my outdoor kitchen, decided to just to full remodel / build. Looking to get some opinions on a few things.

This is going under a large fully covered back patio. I already have a smaller sink, gas grill, etc (smaller set up). So all the plumbing for waterlines, drains, natural gas, is all there with existing set up.

Things that will go in and/or will stay: Mak smoker (stay on cart) New gas grill looking at 40" natural gas, sink (large sing 20"- 30"), under counter fridge, larger counter space, drawer cabinet, double door cabinets.

Things considering: (looking for opinions thoughts on these)
Kamado style grill ? (will I use it? since already have a Mak 2 star)
Ice machine? (worth it?)
Flat top griddle built in? ( or just flat top insert on the new 40" gas grill)
Vent Hood above Grill? (currently dont have one, but the main section with the grill is about 8" off the stucco wall, so maybe add good vent)
Tile or rock back splash behind grill? (so my stocco wall doesnt get smoke marks and look like crap)
Missing anything worth it?

Note: I live in Northern Ca. so good weather, I use my outdoor cookers probably 2-3 week year round.

Long post, but looking for opinions, thoughts, etc.
Some of those questions only you are going to be able to answer. Few thoughts based on my experiences:

I had a Kamado Joe along with a Rectec pellet grill and did find the Kamado (and now Weber Kettle) to be fun to use when I have the time. The MAK puts out more smoke but the best way to smoke on my rectec was to do an overnight cook. With the Kamado/Kettle I can start in the morning, cooking at a higher temp, and still get a decent smoke profile. I often use both — start it on the charcoal option to get some smoke and then move it to the pellet grill when I wrap to finish.

I like having the a dedicated griddle though I don’t use it all that often. When we do use it, it’s usually breakfast and that starts with bacon which generates a lot of grease. Not sure how that would work as a grill topper.

On the gasser, I moved from an older weber genesis to a 42” XO grill and haven’t been overly happy with it. Some of that is grill specific, some isn’t but on the latter, while it’s true that you can cook small amounts of food on a large grill but not large amounts on a small one, that doesn’t mean it’s as convenient to do so. Preheat times are substantially longer with all that volume. It’s a four burner unit and I find that I really need to have at least two fired up or it behaves a bit as if the lid was open. Mine is on a cart which adds one problem that you won’t have which is having to fill refill the tank fairly frequently.

No experience with the hood and backsplash but I do tend to like the look.

Good luck — looking forward to seeing some pics of it when finished!

Sounds like you have a great setup.

Kamados are amazing. You can get them ripping hot for searing and they hold heat forever for low and slow. I would research warranties though because the can crack. I had a big green egg and their warranty in phenomenal.

I’d love to see some pics of your progress. I’m in the process of building an island from the ground up. I’m going the minimalist route. No gas, no plumbing. Santa Maria grill built in on one side and my pizza oven on the other side. Just finished the block frame and currently working on prepping the pizza oven side.

Check out my work in progress

Back