New Orleans BBQ supplies

bbqfanboy1021

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Jesse Robinson
What's good everybody! I'm visiting New Orleans this week for a work trip and was hoping to bring back some good authentic Cajun seasonings and BBQ rubs. Where are all the outdoor cooking supply stores at?????

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hopefully Brother Toast, Brother 1FUNVET, or another brother from that area could give you some direction on what to choose to take home.

You can always stop at the post office and send non-perishables home if you don't have room im the luggage.

Last edited:
BBQ Fanboy - Johnny Trigg is teaching a BBQ class in new Orleans next Friday and Saturday so get yourself enrolled in that!

If that doesn't work, fear not. Everyone in Louisiana cooks and the grocery stores reflect that. Head to your local Rouse's Grocery and they will have a great selection of local spices (e.g. Slap yo Mama) and local hot sauces like Crystal.

If you are near the Warehouse district or the French Quarter, check out Couchon Butcher at 930 Tchoupitoulas. They make their own Charcutierie and will cryovac anything you want to take on the plane home with you. Last time there I brought home seven pounds of Andouille sausage and it was awesome!

New Orleans is not synonymous with BBQ. I was born and raised just down the road in Gonzales, LA which is known as the jambalaya capital of the world. I am currently visiting my mom in Gonzales - I moved to Texas years ago. Your best bet would be to take a road trip to Lafayette and visit any number of roadside meat markets such as Don's, Best Stop, Herbert's, etc. They sell all kinds of stuff like seasoning, boudin, stuffed anything, fresh crackling- I could keep going.

Baton Rouge has an outfit called Red Stick Spice, which I am a huge fan of. My pantry is stocked with their rubs, seasonings and olive oil. You can also order from their website.

Tony Chachere's is pretty much at any store. I however recommend Slap Ya Momma, which doesn't have as much salt. As an aside, Tony Chachere cooked a sauce picant for my dad before he left for his tour in Vietnam.

In New Orleans, do stop by Central Grocery and get some jars of their olive salad - they are the home of the muffuletta.

Not BBQ but get some Brother’s Fried Chicken when you get your gas. For real!

I can lay out some good places to eat while there. Look for the "Certified Cajun" seal on the label of anything you buy. Also, most stores have an entire isle dedicated to these products all over the state. If your driving, bring an ice chest to take some boudin and gator and other things back home and freeze. Also talk to the locals. They will help you find what you are looking for.

Hope y'all have a Great time and if you hub through Shreveport come see us.

Hollar at brother Toast for starters....but La isn’t famous for their bbq.....but their blackened dishes and other things are to DIE FOR!!!!!....Again......hollar at Brother Toast...BTW if you go through Henderson or Breaux Bridge....stop and get some REAL CRAKLINS.......goood grief.....if you’re Blood pressure can stand it.....it will “set you free”...!!!! .......BTW ....Tell Toast “Geaux TIGAHHHSSS"

To the OP:

You said it's a work trip and that you are looking for supplies, correct?

I take this to mean that: 1. You have limited mobility, 2. You need stuff that can get through the "Blue Glove" treatment at the airport. Am I correct?

If you were visiting New Orleans and had access to a vehicle, I would tell you to take the 30-45 minute drive to LaPlace and visit Jacob's and Bailey's.

I assume that you are limited to streetcars, cabs, and Uber's. If that is the case, get yourself to a Rouse's Market or Robert's (pronounced "row-bear", not "rob-ert"). Go to the seasoning section and look for Slap Ya' Mama, Punch Ya' Daddy, and other local seasonings.

If you are checking a bag at the airport, you can carry liquids. Look for Pig Stand and Johhny Miller's sauce. Also find a Winn Dixie and you can get the very excellent sauces made by Daigle's (pronounced "Day-gulls").

If you are really adventuresome, you can check frozen meats (no carry-on). Get a decent softsided cooler and fill it with crawfish tails, frozen shrimp, alligator meat, and some good cajun sausages (Manda's, Richard's ("Ree-chards"), Savoie's ("Sav-whaaz"), and others. Top the cooler with dry ice in a towel.

Visit Cochon Butcher and Chris' Specialty Meats.

If you are going out to eat, Blue Oak is pretty damn good.

If you are adventuresome, got to Toups Meatery.

If you want seafood, go to Mandina's, R&O's, or Blue Crab.

If you want boiled seafood, go to the Galley in Old Metairie.

If you want steaks, Crescent City Steakhouse or Mr. Johns.

Enjoy, and PM with any questions.

David

If you can get out to Broussard, stop by Hebert's market for a dazzling array of non-touristified Cajun seasonings and ingredients. Also, grab a loaf of their sausage bread, something you won't regret.

Back