New member. New pellet smoker.

Thoss88

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Tyler
Hey guys thanks for having me here at the bbq brethren.
I'm not new to smoking or grilling but am new to the pellet world. My current setup is a webber kettle and a vision(big green egg knock off) I absolutely love both of them but I have three young kids and time isnt something I have a lot of(I'm sure some of yall know how that feels) so that's why I decided to order a pellet smoker with a wifi controller. I'm getting a camp chef woodwind 36" with wifi to be exact. I know nothing about pellet smokers though. I've done quite a bit of research to figure out which one I wanted to buy but as far as cooking on them I know nothing. So if there are any pellet pros on here I'd love all the tips I can get like is a water pot needed? I live in ohio so it gets cold and I cook out side year around is a blanket really needed for it? Do yall have preference on brand of pellets? And any thing else yall here can help me with I'd greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance. Have a great new year every one.

Welcome, Tyler. I don't own a pellet cooker (yet) but lot's of brethren on this forum do. You came to the right place. Happy New Year.

That Camp Chef looks like a nice unit. Please post some pictures. All you have to do is use the search function and you will find a whole lot of information. Just do it .... you'll learn a lot by just doing.

As soon as I get it I will post pictures. They are out of stock so as soon as they are back in stock it will be shipped. I was told by the lady at camp chef they hope to have them back in stock mid January. I also bought the side kick with the grill box and the pizza oven(which I'm super excited about). I'll have to figure the search out and try to come up with stuff. Thanks guys.

I did just try to use the search and i dont remember exactly what it said but it basically said I didn't have access to that? Any way to get around that?

Congrats and welcome to pellet cooking! I’ve tried many kinds of pellets and for me, lumberjack performs the best. They produce more smoke flavor than any others I’ve tried. I buy in bulk about 1000lbs a pop..much cheaper that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks gtsum I'll have to keep my eye out for lumberjack. I see alot of pellet company's have a "competition blend" are those ever any good or would I be better to stick with a 100 pecan or apple ect flavor pellet.

I like MHC from lumberjack. But I usually use 100% hickory or 100% pecan and mix in 100% cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey guys thanks for having me here at the bbq brethren.
I'm not new to smoking or grilling but am new to the pellet world. My current setup is a webber kettle and a vision(big green egg knock off) I absolutely love both of them but I have three young kids and time isnt something I have a lot of(I'm sure some of yall know how that feels) so that's why I decided to order a pellet smoker with a wifi controller. I'm getting a camp chef woodwind 36" with wifi to be exact. I know nothing about pellet smokers though. I've done quite a bit of research to figure out which one I wanted to buy but as far as cooking on them I know nothing. So if there are any pellet pros on here I'd love all the tips I can get like is a water pot needed? I live in ohio so it gets cold and I cook out side year around is a blanket really needed for it? Do yall have preference on brand of pellets? And any thing else yall here can help me with I'd greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance. Have a great new year every one.

Happy New Year and I hope Your Camp Chef Woodwind 36 WiFi is a great investment for you.

1. My first tip for You is to download the Owners Manual to get a head start on the assembly, basic functions and the recommended operating procedures by Camp Chef. Every brand of Pellet Grill is different and their operating procedures and recommendations will be different. Never take short cuts in the proper operation of your pellet grill. This link may not be the exact same Owners Manual as the new Woodwind 36, but it’ll give you good info and a good idea on what to expect.

https://www.campchef.com/media/manuals/1217_PG36SGX_Booklet.pdf

2. If You don’t already own one, it would be a good idea to buy a shop vac for your pellet grill. Cleaning and the removal of pellet ash from the burn pot and cooking camber will help your new pellet grill to operate more reliably.
3. When operating Your new pellet grill, know that most pellet grills tend to produce a light flavor profile when the grills temp is set at 250* degrees and higher. Read and see from the Owners Manual, what Camp Chef recommends on what’s the best ways to get more smoke production from your Woodwind 36 for your bbq. Temps from 180*-225* tends to produce the most smoke, but every brand of pellet grill is different, so see what Camp Chef recommends.
4. Pellet Smoke and real Hardwood Smoke are different, so there will be an adjustment in the level of smoke flavor. 100% wood type pellets are the best way to go too get the best smoke flavor when using pellets. Lumberjack brand 100% wood type bbq pellets are very good... Pellet blends tend to produce a lighter flavor profile, so give both types a try and see what’s best for you. Good luck and when You get your first cook done, post back your thoughts and results.

Welcome Tyler!

For pellets, I'd start with Lumberjack to find what sort of 'smoke profile' you really like with what you cook.

If it's really cold outside, personally I seriously consider a welders blanket. Of course, you can always dump more pellets in to keep the fire going! :-D

The main thing for most will be to keep it out of the WIND. Wind is apt to be your biggest enemy with future cooks in really cold weather.

The water pan isn't a benefit because air flow is too fast. If you want a good smoke flavor, run as low as you can for a couple of hours to put the smoke on the meat, then raise your temp and cook hot and fast. Smoke density drops considerably as the cook chamber temp goes above 200F. Cold smoke for as long as necessary then finish hot.

Last edited:
Back