New LANGLEY Cooker by Tyler Shirley

bluegrass smoke

Full Fledged Farker
About a year ago work relocated us to Alabama. It didn't take long for me to google map distance to Tuscaloosa :-D. I knew the wait time was long for a new from the shirley boys so I started looking around and came across this guy... I believe at some point it was a Lang 84 deluxe with chargrill
IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6253.jpg

IMG_6254.jpg

IMG_6255.jpg

IMG_6240.jpg

Well after working with Tyler for almost a year this is what we came up with.
What started out as a small refurb basically turned into a brand cooker.

We wanted to just replace the plate and patch the hole in the firebox that had been burned/rusted out. but the more the talked ( and the more I thought about that wait :shocked:) we decided to
- Replace plate
- New Shirley firebox warmer
- ALL NEW ELECTRICAL WIRING/ LED LIGHTS
- Grease valve
- Sandblast / Paint
- Remove sign bracket on top
- Added basket to the back for storage/wood
- New jack
- Spare tire and mount
- New chamber stack
- Added plates to fix weak spots in the main chamber
- New safety chains
- New Gauges
- Griddle in the warmer box
- Reconfigured the main chamber with two sliding racks ( we like to cook whole hog and couldnt the way it was before)

IMG_7094.jpg
IMG_7105.jpg
IMG_7109.jpg
IMG_7109.jpg
IMG_7098.jpg
IMG_7107.jpg
IMG_7108.jpg

The thing that took the longest was trying to figure out what to do with the char grill up front.....

At first I wanted the top off and some burners added for crawfish boils etc.
then we talked about just sandblasting it patching vents and using for storage. But in the end we just went with cleaning it up and he built we new grates for it and I think it was the right call.

Shirley Fabrication is wonderful to work with and I cant wait till I have the opportunity to work on something else with them! Gentlemen all the way!

thanks!:clap2:

Second time in the past week I've seen the Shirley boys work with a Brethren to rehab an old Lang.

Class act. Great looking smoker.

It looks like an episode of Maine Cabin Masters where the crew takes a dilapidated old cabin (in this case a smoker) and refurbishes it to bring it back to it's once full glory and breathes new life back into it. Nice job guys, and congrats on a nice rescue!!

That is just awesome :mrgreen: they can do anything and nothing stands in their way to help even another builders build great again .

Thx for the props..... just a little food for thought..... guys who have reverse flows.... keep this baffle plates clean..... oil is fine ... but do not let that plate build up with water and just sit there..... I’ve seen recently 2 cookers we worked on that the baffle plate had been totally
Attacked by rust associated to neglect..... I’ll fix em..... but I’m just trying to save you some grief......

Thx for the props..... just a little food for thought..... guys who have reverse flows.... keep this baffle plates clean..... oil is fine ... but do not let that plate build up with water and just sit there..... I’ve seen recently 2 cookers we worked on that the baffle plate had been totally
Attacked by rust associated to neglect..... I’ll fix em..... but I’m just trying to save you some grief......

Is it a good idea to put aluminum trays down with water, apple juice etc to steam and also catch falling stuff?? I was going to try it anyway but wanted to ask
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back