new keg owner with a question

nopantsdan

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
i bit the bullet, bought a keg.

curious about the rock wool insulation around the intake. here is a picture. my first thought is that it is awfully exposed. is this normal?

Last edited:
The link that you have for the picture goes to Google Mail, which is private and won't show up for others. Try either adding it as an attachment or uploading it to Photobucket and posting the IMG code from Photobucket.

I have one from 2009 before it became the Steel Keg, and no, mine does not look like that.

I have one from 2009 before it became the Steel Keg, and no, mine does not look like that.

ugh... just got off the phone with Broil King. It is indeed missing a part - which they are sending out now. the lady i spoke to, spoke with several people on the department and a manager - they all believe that i'll be able to to add the part and be on my way. good customer service so far.

maybe some buyers remorse, but kinda wish i went with the vision...

I don't own either of the ones you mentioned, but I expect once you add the part and start cookin', that feeling will go away...

i know, i am sure i will love it. i have been looking at a kamado style cooker for over a year - just wanted everything to be perfect.

so the part is on it's way, the lady did not say exactly what part was on the way (i didn't ask either), but based on pictures I am looking through it is missing a screen guard.

based on some photographs i am seeing at bigsteelkeg forums, specifically this one http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=5452.0
a couple of pics into that it shows the exact insulation i was worried about.

any other BSK owners out there? anyone else have their insulation visible?

Definitely unfinished.
I own one and urge you to pursue this and stick with the keg.
It is a remarkable piece of kit and when you get that issue sorted you will be ecstatic with all this keg can do!
Seems to be missing a mouth section , you shouldn't see any of that insulation nor should there be a gap, and I can't see the outer slide either but that may be the pic?

Definitely unfinished.
I own one and urge you to pursue this and stick with the keg.
It is a remarkable piece of kit and when you get that issue sorted you will be ecstatic with all this keg can do!
Seems to be missing a mouth section , you shouldn't see any of that insulation nor should there be a gap, and I can't see the outer slide either but that may be the pic?

Hopefully that is what is sent. I'm not sure how I can install it with the damper on but customer service seemed confident that I'd be able to.

The other thing that concerns me is that the gap around is not uniform. One edge is pressed against the body the 3 sides have the gap.

Can either of you take a picture of what the intake should look like with the damper slid to the right?

I'd love to season this thing and cook this weekend. You think that's a bad idea and to just wait for the part?

I own the keg also and it is a excellent smoker .It appears from Your photo and after looking at mine that all You will have to do is screw on a face plate.Sorry unable to up load a pic at this time .

I'm pretty certain my BKK looked the same when I bought it last year. I took a flat head screw driver and pushed the insulation in and ran a bead of high temp (800*) caulk / sealant around the perimeter. Also removed the cast iron top vent and sealed the same way.

You will love the versatility of the BKK!

Back