New Jumbo Joe Build

jtcannonball

Knows what a fatty is.
Pot drilled and bottom cut out. Going to use one 3/4" ball valve and I'm debating two additional 3/4" nipples and caps. I've bought everything but thinking this over. Also bought a 3/8" ID Rubber grommet for my temp gauges. My only concern is if that's ok to use in the smoker or if it would melt or give off toxic fumes. Have my 3" River Country thermometer right below my middle rack. Now I'm debating taking my bolts for the bottom rack and going longer than 2". Only because I'm not sure how large a Pizza pan is for a diffuser. Will add more pictures as I assemble it. But cutting the pot wasn't that bad with my Dremel and a few discs. Now to add a ND logo and call it a day.

Returned the rubber grommets and notched the rim of the pot. I really like how this turned out, less of a opening as the lid and wires will do a good job closing the air gap. I went with one ball valve. I have to paint the Jumbo Joe around the hole as the enamel got buggered when I drilled the opening.

I want able to find fiber washers to save my life. Everybody was out of 1/4". I'll check another Home Depot tomorrow. Need a Pizza pan, the paint job and fiber washers and will be operational by Saturday.

Attachments

• 20171009_183733.jpg
    20171009_183733.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 20171006_191236.jpg
    20171006_191236.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 601
  • 20171011_162311.jpg
    20171011_162311.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 20171011_162254.jpg
    20171011_162254.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20171011_162645.jpg
    20171011_162645.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
That is a great idea. I haven't seen that before (but I did just climb out from under the rock). I have the same grill. What size pot did you use?

That is a great idea. I haven't seen that before (but I did just climb out from under the rock). I have the same grill. What size pot did you use?

Do a few searches and you will find some complete versions. Fwismoker is the OG on these and his is beautiful. I feel there are not as many as a lot of others for the shere fact that cutting steel sucks.

It's a 80qt Concord Pot off eBay. Works well.

Last edited:
"I feel there are not as many as a lot of others for the shere fact that cutting steel sucks."

My plasma cutter should make quick work of that. Now to Ebay I go. :becky:

Good bits and jigsaw blades are key. Makes it very easy to drill and cut. I use my Jimmy more all the time. Gave my mini away.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Good bits and jigsaw blades are key. Makes it very easy to drill and cut. I use my Jimmy more all the time. Gave my mini away.

You are only using one ball valve and the stock air intake correct? I bought the extra nipples and caps to have on hand in case I want to go that route. I'm debating how to run my probe wires right now.

You are only using one ball valve and the stock air intake correct? I bought the extra nipples and caps to have on hand in case I want to go that route. I'm debating how to run my probe wires right now.
No ball valves. I run wires under the lid. I cook hot with lump so ash isn't an issue.

Thought about it when I had a SJS, even bought the parts. Never thought about converting my JJ. 80 qt stock pot, huh?

Did you notch the top of the pot then for the wires or just place the lid on the wires themselves?
No notch. Just place the lid on the wires. On really long cooks I might have to tap on the intake to make some ash drop.

Back