Contest Results New Holland Summerfest

First time judging at New Holland. What a terrific event.

I really wished that I could have met up with some of you guys after, especially since I'm thinking of starting to compete in 2012. Bad weather, had to run home before the wife got really mad for abandoning her to Irene!

Chicken was really very sweet across the board. I know that teams go sweet for NE, but this was off the charts. Maybe just luck of the draw. Got a 1/2" thick slice of brisket this contest, that was strange.

Congrats to all who walked and competed. I sure wish I could have had some of that cheesecake!

Regards,

Tim

Haha that 1/2" sliced brisket was probably me. I was so focused on getting packed up sat and hitting the road that I overcooked my brisket. Were they short staggered slices with burnt ends in the front? When I picked up the flat it split in two . I don't have a pic

Haha that 1/2" sliced brisket was probably me. I was so focused on getting packed up sat and hitting the road that I overcooked my brisket. Were they short staggered slices with burnt ends in the front? When I picked up the flat it split in two . I don't have a pic

lay off the TQ. :becky:

Not only did they win Chef's Choice, they scored a 180 on it! Nice job Chip!

George -- you guys always seem to pull out your best at New Holland -- didn't you have a nice run there a few years back? Congrats on the great finish!

One thing that wasn't mentioned -- this was the first time in I think 5 years that Midnight Smokers wasn't GC, which is an absolutely amazing run. To win that many times at any contest, let alone one of the Northeast's premier contests, is one heck of an achievement.

Erik

Thanks Erik. Yes, I think Paul's run of 4 in a row is unprecedented in a 70+ team contest, one heck of an achievement.

The weather and the pressure of the coming weather surely put a "damper" on the entire event. Congrats to all that walked. Note to self: never again attempt 3 ancillary categories (one of which was whole hog for the first time in a contest setting)at an event when you are 2 team mates down and are under an impending hurricane warning......not fun.

Sled, I don't think it was yours; there were only the 1/2" slices in the box, no burnt ends.

Taste was actually pretty good, but I think it must have got hammered on appearance and texture.

May have been mine. I don't know if they were 1/2" thick but I did slice them a little thicker than normal. I don't know why, just happened. We place a whopping 41st in brisket and we thought it tatsed pretty good.

Attachments

• DSCN5922.jpg
    DSCN5922.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 60
Wow, we got 32nd and were really disappointed. Appearance wasn't great, but the taste and texture was the best this year. At least that's what we thought.

49th here .. I thought is was better much,much better then that...but what are you gonna do...there is always next year...

Last edited:
hey Chipper congrats on the 180 in anything but!!! very nice..

Sally was in charge of the cheese cake. She's thinking of posting the recipe on our website and fb page. Not sure if that's a good idea.
And yes, there is always next year and a few more to go this year.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Post it! I don't do anything butt but I sure do love cheesecake. I guess the brethren suck at brisket in nh Lol

Post it! I don't do anything butt but I sure do love cheesecake. I guess the brethren suck at brisket in nh Lol

23rd for us, but seeing as who was 24th it was pretty good company.

OTOH, pork was 53rd after a 2nd and 5th the last two comps. I took a look at the picture of our box later and it looked like 1) someone or some rodent had consumed some of our pulled and 2) the MM looked like, well, it looked like a part of the pig I wouldn't want to eat (and I am not talking tail, snout, ears or chitlins')........:eek:

May have been mine. I don't know if they were 1/2" thick but I did slice them a little thicker than normal. I don't know why, just happened. We place a whopping 41st in brisket and we thought it tatsed pretty good.

Man, that looks alright to me! I was 19th with my "miracle brisket", done at 2:30am (total cook time 4 hours)!

I've now done New Holland for 5 years and I seem destined to stay in that top 20 range. My cooking is just a little off for the local tastes I think (aside from sausage and chili of course!).

Plus we have 72 killer teams putting in their all which is again a testament to PA Midnight Smokers!

And 37th in pork shoulder, the lowest I have ever finished in pork.

That said, I closed down the cookers after my briskets got done so fast and probably dried them out. There's always next year and the staff loved the leftovers!

Back