New Guy from West of Indy... Been smoking for a year

Jax04

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Howdy all, The name is Kyle. I started smoking meat last year with a cheap griller from lowes to see if i enjoyed and quickly became addicted and so did the family.

I started out with a char-griller with the offset fire box, made some "free" mods to help with the heat distribution and sealing of the firebox, and learning how to regulate the heat and smoke.

I havent started yet this season becuase i keep talking myself out of using it again for anything but actually grilling. I'd like to embark on building a smoker that fits my needs.

I like to entertain and have people over, at the most, on my third shoulder smoke last year i feed 30 people and we ran out of meat.

Id like to be able to do many different items and the chargriller was great, to start on and learn something things.

I found this site by googling large diameter pipe as i was thinking that would be the best way to start off my own build, low and behold, someone here had posted a thread about, which lead me to an old 100 gallon air tank rig build, so i just had to register.

I've got welding backround and fabrication on the checklist so i feel this is only a natural segway for me. I've built a couple cars over the last few years, and currently finishing up my latest project.

Hope these pics post, these are the first two smokes i ever did.

I tend to like to use alot of apple cider vineagar, brown sugar, cumin, crushed red pepper, apple juice and grape juice in the injection. Then a sweet/heat rub as well.

My very first smoke ever, i was checking the water pan and snapped a pic, i tend to not open that lid for anything except to check the pan, and as it was my first time, i didnt know when it would be empty.

I finished the above in the oven wrapped very tightly and had a nice crisp bark. The next one i did loosly in a pan and foil and the bark was soft and came right apart, this next one wasnt done right IMO and was not as good as the first.

Second smoke

So this year, i'll go ahead and start off with another shoulder and move to a brisket, i will be buildng my own rig in the near future, im trying to source the pipe or old tank now.

as far as wood, i've been using apple would chunks and peach. tried mesquite and didnt like it.

Thanks for looking,

Kyle

Welcome aboard Kyle, glad to have you here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Welcome aboard, enjoy what you learn and share what you know!:biggrin:

Back