New guy from Long Island, NY

HighCaliber

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hello all,

Cliff notes: My name is Danny and I am from Long Island, NY. I am a die-hard meat eater and love anything that is grilled, fried, roasted, seared, smoked, baked or charred on a barbecue. I have a Weber Q220 redtop, Genesis 1000 blacktop, Genesis 1000 redtop and Weber Silver B in green.

Longer version: I always wanted a Weber gasser after growing up with pos after pos of big box lava rock BBQs. My parents never learned the old adage of spend once, cry once because they did not want to spend on a quality brand. They were used to re-buying new BBQs every two or three years.

After I moved out and into a rental condo, I started shopping around for my first Weber. I asked the property manager if it was ok to store an extra 20# propane tank in my property's storage shed and he explained that I could not have a propane bbq on the property, CHARCOAL ONLY! No pressurized fuel allowed or I could be evicted for breaking my contract.

So I bought an Aussie Walk-a-bout charcoal grill with a 18.5"x18.5" chrome grate. But within a year I lost interest in cooking with it. The charcoal seemed to always be slightly damp and/or didn't stay lit properly (obviously my fault). It was just too much to contend with when I wanted to quickly cook dinner after a 10-12 hour work day.

One night my neighbor was outside cooking on a Weber Spirit E-310 and I started asking him about the grills performance, then about our condo's propane ban. He said that he has lived there for 18 years and if they were going to evict him for cooking himself dinner then so be it. He said not to flaunt it during the day when the workers are out and about. He wheels it in/out of his storage shed every night for dinner.

I immediately went online and purchased the Weber I knew I could "hide" during the day since most of my storage shed was full of bikes, etc. A Weber Q220 redtop that I could start with camp canisters and eventually upgrade to a hose & 20# tank. I loved the Q220's cast iron grill over the Aussie's chrome wire cooking surface.

Fast forward 6 years to last month when my boss gave me his Weber Genesis 1000 blacktop. It is in great condition other than missing the lower wooden slat shelf and needs a new cart frame. I was working towards a full rebuild over the next few weeks. But I ended up landing a Genesis redhead for pennies & a Silver B for free. I am trying to rebuild at least two awesome grills out of the three. Total investment: $30.

Happy grilling gang!

-Danny

Welcome!

where is this Long Island place you speak of? :confused::cool:

Welcome aboard Danny!

Wow, you might be the first guy here from Lawn Guy Land!

Welcome to the camp,
Danny.
Enjoy.

(Be sure and stop by Williepallooza 2013, coming up soon in April 6-7 in Brentwood; several of the local brethren will be there, not square.)

Nice find and good luck, I am new here as well. From Fort Lauderdale, Florida, year round grilling. Trying to learna few things:confused:

Welcome from Indiana!!!!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nice find and good luck, I am new here as well. From Fort Lauderdale, Florida, year round grilling. Trying to learna few things:confused:

We just had three feet of snow and I won't let it hurt my grilling game ;).
Nothing a little shoveling couldn't fix.

I am a half hour east of Brentwood's BBQ Competition for anyone who asked where I live (on Long Island, NY). Here are some recent pics of grilling outside when it is cold and crappy out.

20130224_154509.jpg

20130225_211006.jpg

20130226_185725.jpg

20130224_183435.jpg

Back