New grill suggestion

lackskill

Name or Nickame
Ryan
Hello all. I currently have a Weber Performer Deluxe 22, a PBC, and a cheap Aussie. I'm looking to replace my Weber with..not another kettle. Not that there's anything wrong with kettles, I just strongly prefer a rectangular cooking surface. I'm also not looking for a ceramic, gas, or pellet.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding anything of decent quality for less than $1500 or so. Many more than $2000. I'd like to be less than $1000, but not necessarily firm in that. I am having trouble justifying $1500. I don't need an Abrams, but I'd like something a bit nicer (and larger) than the aussie. I'd like around 600 sq in of primary cooking surface. Secondary cooking surface would be nice, but not necessary. Hood mandatory.

As far as I can tell, there are no shops within an hour of me that have anything relatively close to what I'm looking for and I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on something that expensive that I use better that 100 days per year without seeing it or at least getting a few credible reviews.

So far the only options I'm seeing are the hasty bake which has had some pretty bad reviews, and the smoke daddy elite, which I've yet to find a single review of and is 50% bigger than I was looking for. There's also a Napoleon, which I've also seen only a few reviews of, not exactly credible ones, and there's also the fact that it's pushing $1500 with shipping. And that stainless?!? :twitch:

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I will second the Assassin and that budget will include the shipping and stop looking .

I will second the Assassin and that budget will include the shipping and stop looking .

I'm picking nits a bit with these guys, but I'm not a fan of the lid design, unless I'm missing something. I don't want to pull the tray out every time I need to flip something. Im otherwise a big fan of the design and price.

I'm a bit of an odd duck, but it would chafe my hind end a bit every time I opened the lid.

Thanks again for the suggestion though!

What bad reviews have you seen in the Hasty bake? If you want a large area it’s hard to beat the assassin though.

What bad reviews have you seen in the Hasty bake? If you want a large area it’s hard to beat the assassin though.

Honestly, I'm working a bit from memory. I went through this once about 4 years ago when I ended up with the Weber. I remember ruling it out, possibly because everything fit loosely, and something to do with the firebox design.

do you worry about what it looks like ? or what or puts out great BBQ is the question ? seems like you have done your research . :biggrin1:

do you worry about what it looks like ? or what or puts out great BBQ is the question ? seems like you have done your research . :biggrin1:

As long as it doesn't look like I welded it (seriously, no one wants to see that :wacko:), I'm not buying it to impress the neighbors. Turning out quality food for years is its only job. :grin:

I agonized for about a month when I bought the Weber. Before that I had a gmg Daniel Boone for about 3 years with similar agony about that decision. About once a year, with increasing experience, I spend a couple weeks at a time thinking heavily about what I really want. Many of the grills in the $2-3k range tick all of my boxes, but without putting hands on it, I have trouble justifying half of that.

Honestly, I'm working a bit from memory. I went through this once about 4 years ago when I ended up with the Weber. I remember ruling it out, possibly because everything fit loosely, and something to do with the firebox design.

Firebox? Not sure what model that was but curious?

Best bang for the buck no if and or buts imo. Does it all and does it well plus it's rectangular lol

https://www.hastybake.com/cart

I looked hard at Meadow Creek PR36 for same rectangular preference, but shipping cost killed it in the end. MC is excellent quality though.
https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catalog/barbecue-smokers/pr36-backyard-bbq-smoker/

There is MC dealer in Loveland if you live near there in CO.

I didn't realize they had a dealer in Colorado. I'll have to see if I can get up there to check one out. I had crossed them off the list because with options and freight it was going to be almost $1700.

Firebox? Not sure what model that was but curious?

Best bang for the buck no if and or buts imo. Does it all and does it well plus it's rectangular lol

https://www.hastybake.com/cart

The legacy 131:

attachment.php

I'd love to see one in person.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190531-221048.jpg
    Screenshot_20190531-221048.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 125
Back