New Gasket for BGE XL

dajogejr

Knows what a fatty is.
I guess I've cooked one too many pizzas on my BGE.
I got a pair of butts on now and noticed a little bit of smoke leakage from heating up my lump. I will say, once the egg heated up, no more smoke leaking.

However...I know it's inevitable.

I'm thinking a Nomex gasket, just undecided between the type that is self adhesive and the type that requires the 3M 77 spray.

I'm aware prep, prep and more prep of both surfaces is the key.

What say you brethren?

I cook as much as I can on my egg, sometimes 4-5 times a week.

From low and slow butts and ribs to 550 to 600 degree pizzas.

My egg is a few months old, and I did several low and slows (less than 250) cooks before attempting high heat cooks.

Nomex can burn, too. Go with Rutland furnace gasket (flat) from Ace Hardware. Secure it with Permatex Ultra Gold gasket maker (auto supply store). You're good for life. http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1317156&catid=1
OK, I guess Ultra Copper will do.

Here's the gasket material. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Inc-Gasket-Tape-95-6/dp/B000MIPB6S"]Rutland Inc Gasket Kit Tape 7'x5/8" 95-6 - Amazon.com[/ame]

DON'T use the Rutland adhesive! It dries hard... like a rock and very difficult to remove without damaging the ceramic. Permatex stays somewhat flexable and can be peeled/scraped off if need be.

Ordered two Rutland gaskets from Amazon yesterday.
No need to put a gasket on the lid, right? Just clean thoroughly?

I caught a few vids on YouTube, thank you!

ive had my kamado joe for a couple years now and i havent had any problems yet with the gaskets but thinking bout replacing mine now anyways... let me know how easy or hard it is!!

Rutland is awesome. I did 3 pizza's last week between 600-650 degrees. Can't even tell. Yes the gasket just goes on the bottom. Check out the naked whiz site for great directions. I do recommend getting the 3m paint/rust stripper for your drill is works great.

only need to replace the gasket if you can't hold your low smoke temps......I do mine about every couple years just for something different to do. On the xl, no need to take the dome off. may need to prop the dome off the back hinge with a stick or something but other than that, just be patient while working the dome......t

only need to replace the gasket if you can't hold your low smoke temps......I do mine about every couple years just for something different to do. On the xl, no need to take the dome off. may need to prop the dome off the back hinge with a stick or something but other than that, just be patient while working the dome......t

When I put some butts on Saturday, I lit up the pit and it started seeping smoke from the lump out of a 1-2 inch spot. Gasket didn't look terribly burned...but smoke don't lie. I can't say I noticed it the rest of the cook once the pit was up to temp.

That being said, I think it sealed up with a little heat. But my gasket looks in rough, rough shape.

I like doing things once, doing them right..and cost isn't a big issue when we're talking 15 to 20 bucks...or less than 100 bucks.

It holds temp just fine, but when I really need it to hold heat, that's when all hell breaks loose. :) Nothing ever fails when its convenient.

Thanks for the tips and help all...I'm going to take my time and the last thing I want to do is damage the ceramic.

Back