THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice setup Rick! I need to find a cart for my XL.

Hey Pork Smoker,

It is not as cool as Ricks (very nice carts Rick), but this is what I did for the XL. I need it to roll over 50 ft of rocks aong the side of the house. That is why I have to big tires and it now has a bottle opener on both sides of the cart. :-D

there's been a few people asking questions about building a cart like mine. it's pretty simple really. here's a few more notes that may help. keep in mind i store my carts inside and out of the weather, so if you plan making carts like this and storing them outside (especially in florida), your cart will be rusted in no time because these carts have cheap plating on them and they are made in CHINA.

the hole in the wood is the same diameter as the naked whiz's large table plans and the distance from the egg support shelf to the top of the wood surface is the same as the naked whiz's large table. i cut the hole in the wood with a jigsaw.

i placed the egg in on the shelf and lined everything up and then drilled holes with an electric drill and a good bit through the support shelf/leg at the same time and then inserted the bolt.

you can put the handles wherever you want them or you can leave them off. i put them on and reinforced them with radiator clamps as shown on the thread i posted because i move my eggs every time i use them and i also cart them into a trailer to haul them. if you are not moving your egg all the time, you do no need to install the handle.

from the thread i posted:
"to attach the wood top surface, i removed the plastic caps in the top of each leg, drilled a hole in them, and screwed them to the bottom of the board in the proper locations and simply pushed the caps back in the legs"

this is just how i attached the top. there are a hundred different ways to do it. if you do it like i did it, beware it will pop out of the legs if you pull up on it. i do not pull up on it so it is not a problem.

i used minwax helmsman spar urethane from lowes to seal the wooden top. it is not mandatory it is just what i used. i do not live in florida. i recommend you use whatever wood preservative they use in florida. ask the guy at lowes.

the wood is whatever kind of wood they sell at lowes that is 24"x36" it is premade and presanded and i think it is poplar, no wait, i just looked at the thread i posted and it says "aspen wooden top from lowe's, $21". you do not have to use this exact wood. you can use any wood you want and make a frame or whatever.

you'll notice i use the top shelf of the cart to hold the egg, but it is in a lower position. one of the three shelves is not used at all for the egg carts, but i have two of those carts in my house so they have the extra shelves installed on them.

i built these carts because they are lightweight for moving. if i was building something to sit outside and be static, i would have built a wooden table.

they are not tipsy at all, much more stable then the egg nest. i move them up the trailer ramp and up a concrete ramp into the egg hut for storage with no worries about tipping

ribsbpp-003.jpg

4turkeybreasts-025.jpg

Sam's has some nice carts from Seville Classics. I have two larges that sit in a table like this and when put together make a nice stainless steel workplace. The underside of the top is reinforced with plywood and shelves are welded like Ricks. They take a beating. Hauled both of them around last year competing and now just take one of them.
cart.jpg

Rick is correct about the Metro style utility carts rusting if left outside, the chrome plating is pretty thin. I got mine from a guy that bought out a local Chinese restaurant chain who also had some Green vinyl coated carts. I saw some at Business Costco and they would probably stand up to the elements a little better.

100_3292.jpg

ljh34465,
my pm inbox is full and 6 pm's in 6 hours is excessive. what's the problem?

Back