New Diamond Cut Vision Kamado from Sam's club

zachfeen

Found some matches.
Hey all,

Been registered and lurking here for a few years but never posted. I started off with a Akorn about the time I registered and had fairly good luck with it but lately it has been very difficult to hold temp, so I upgraded to a Vision Classic from Sam's club. I bought one of the new Diamond Cut versions with removable ash drawer. I also built a simple table for about a hundred bucks. I got the kamado a few days ago and initial impressions were hot and cold. The grill looks fantastic and for the most part the build quality is acceptable for the price paid. The hinge is a bit flimsy and the dome moves from side to side a bit when lowering and raising but that is not a huge deal. The thing that had me worried is the multiple areas for possible air leakage, there is a flange where the frame for the ash drawer meets the grill (this mating is not great, there is a large gap that is closed by rope caulk), and where the drawer/vent assembly meets the drawer frame is another chance for leakage although there is a gasket installed here. I was certainly prepared to get out the RTV and start sealing.

I've done a few cooks on it now, a steak for first night it came in, a spatchcock chicken and some burgers today. For the most part my worries about air leakage are quelled, I was able to keepo 250 for the spatchcock without much issue and I have a ROck's stoker on the way that should make it foolproof. Bottomline for 550 bucks, I am quite happy with the new classic from Vision.

Without further ado here are some pictures of my setup

Really loving this cooker. Got some spur of the moment chicken breasts in right now. Breasts are wrapped in bacon with some light stubbs chicken seasoning on the chicken, smoker is humming along at 275 without much issue. Have to adjust every so often but really impressed for the price

Thanks, its not much compared so some of the crazy stuff I have seen just lurking here but these Kamado's are extremely versatile and can still low and slow with the best of them. Plus they just look awesome in my opinion

Very nice. You're going to really enjoy that.

So you skipped Rule #1, the Nekkid Fatty??

Looks nice, Enjoy ;-))

Looks like I may have to use some RTV on the lower vents after all. Temp creeped up to about 300, had to completely close bottom and top vent to stop the climb and start to drop the temp. Not a big deal, was expecting to have to seal it up anyways.

Didn't turn out too bad. My temp probe went crazy in the middle and was reading 330 degrees in the smoker while the dome temp was reading 200. I thought I had lost control of the smoker and closed it all down. Then realized my temp probe was just jacked, grill was at 170 or so for a while until I realized the issue and brought the temp back up. Chicken is still plenty juicy

I saw this the other day in my Sam's but didn't have time to look. What kind of accessories, if any, does it come with?

I saw this the other day in my Sam's but didn't have time to look. What kind of accessories, if any, does it come with?

Specifications

New Diamond Cut finish
Pre-assembled ceramic vessel
Removable ash drawer for easy ash clean-up
Calibrated, color-coded cast iron top vent with Bakelite tab for cool-to-the-touch adjustments
Easy-To-Read thermometer with cooking temperature zones
Stainless-steel shock absorber for lowering lid
2-tier stainless steel dual flip cooking grates with handles and 604 sq. in. cooking space
Slatted wood dual drop-down side shelves with polyurethane finish
Calibrated, color-coded bottom vent
Stainless steel cart
2-locking caster wheels
Branded full-length cover with side velcro wrap for easy on/off
Grill/Smoker fuel type: charcoal–lump charcoal always recommended

Back