New Competition team

Pig Floyd wasn't registered through the KCBS so I thought it was open. I won't be venturing too far from Ohio for competitions so no worries about being in the same comp. and I won't be entering that many comps to have a shot at TOY, so you can have any points i might get. We are also having our first kid in Oct. so this might also be my last competition.

Last edited:
First off I am not attacking anyone...

Its a cool name, but it is taken...I wouldn't use it. A team OWNS that name, they have worked hard BUILDING that name, it is their reputation at stake. You don't go to the corner down the street and setup your own Big Bob Gibson's or Jack's Old South...same thing in this case

KCBS is not the end all be all, there are dozens of different sanctioning organizations. When looking for a name google it, search the BBQ database, and post in here...99% of the time one of us will know if its taken.

Sorry if I'm hurting feelings...I don't mean to, its just a big problem in the last few years now that BBQ has blown up and gotten really popular.

Neil

Pig Floyd wasn't registered through the KCBS so I thought it was open. I won't be venturing too far from Ohio for competitions so no worries about being in the same comp. and I won't be entering that many comps to have a shot at TOY, so you can have any points i might get. We are also having our first kid in Oct. so this might also be my last competition.

Congrats on your 1st kid. I just found out this weekend my wife is knocked too. Looks like we might have a Thanksgiving baby...and future BBQ'er;)

Congrats on your 1st kid. I just found out this weekend my wife is knocked too. Looks like we might have a Thanksgiving baby...and future BBQ'er;)

First off congrats on the LIL Croation in the works. Maybe when you get tied down with the lil monster I will hijack your POP to cook with us. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I went there...and I wouldn't pay $9.95 to have my name there. He went and checked where I would have and that was KCBS. Simple mistake of duplicating a team name.

KCBS is not the end all be all, there are dozens of different sanctioning organizations. When looking for a name google it, search the BBQ database, and post in here...99% of the time one of us will know if its taken.

^^^^thats why I wrote this. I don't blame anyone for not coughing up $9.95, but it is still a good tool to use to look for names already in use. Its a respect issue, if you know a name belongs to another team you don't use it...period.

Since that name is taken, check out the BBQ Team Name Database to make sure you don't get a surprise down the road...

http://www.bbqteamnames.com/Teams_interface/Names/results_page.asp

The problem with that site, is it is not exclusive ether.
Just cause you plunk down $10 to register your name, doesn't mean you have rights to that name.

Team names are a brand, and as with any brand teams have to protect their brands. However unless you trademark it, there is not much that can be done.

When we started in 2009 I looked across all media and resources. Including KCBS, bbqteamnames.com, Facebook, twitter, google etc.
Once I found a name that appeared to be untaken by any active team, I immediately assumed that brand.
On the Brethren, KCBS, twitter, facebook, etc.

Now if any team wants to call themselves Sir Porkalot BBQ, I really do not have a recourse, but I do have the brand tied up.

TooSaucedtoPork has a valid point on name generation/research. We are defiantly listed on Facebook as Pig Floyd and with the Rocky Mountain BBQ Association, www.rmbbqa.org
Congrats on your newborn btw.

I am working on a new name as we speak, thats the only fair thing to do. I will give an update once I do my due diligence on the name.

Ok, I have googled, went to KCBS, and went to bbqteamnames.com to see if anyone has this name. It didn't show up anywhere so if anyone knows of a team named Hey You please let me know.

Adam

Attachments

• PIG Floyd hey you.jpg
    PIG Floyd hey you.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Back