New Competition-Need you imput

• Thread starter Signature'sSmokeHouse
  • Start date
listen, my point was, you might be asking too much of us competitors.

4 categories of meat we have no control over, plus a sausage contest(which shouldn't be blown off because it is important to YOU), and a dessert category. all this while excluding your team pool of top competitors who may be able to pull this off that have invested in automated cookers and then on top a high entry fee. (btw, i spend a whole lot more than $100 for the 4 categories and would rather select my own and pay for it myself than have it provided, unless it was free, then maybe different story).

something needs to give to draw.

i like the idea, but, like hance said about your chicken idea, the logistics aren't there yet.

neither is the promotion of your product. nobody is going to taste the sausage entries except 25 judges. that's not a big market.

i've seen all the pitmaster shows. tell me, how many categories did they cook?

Hey thanks for your imput... that is why I asked not trying to get in any arguments... The reason for making everyone use the same source of meat and getting it right before comp time is to put everyone on an even playing field... As for the logistics not being there yet nothing is there yet just in the brainstorming phase as of right now...

We have a lot of time to go through the details this is just the beginning...

Hey thanks for your imput... that is why I asked not trying to get in any arguments... The reason for making everyone use the same source of meat and getting it right before comp time is to put everyone on an even playing field... As for the logistics not being there yet nothing is there yet just in the brainstorming phase as of right now...

sorry, that did come off aggressive. unintended.

I'm still stuck on how you will handle judging portions with an intact half chicken in a box. Also, just one rack of ribs? I'm pretty sure on Pitmasters, they got more than one slab. IMHO, you are going to have to give them at the very minimum 2 slabs if using spares.

Wouldn't the meat selection process throw an unintended variable into the equation? The lucky first 5 in the draw are going to get the best meat. The unlucky last 5 are getting the leftovers. #25 won't have a choice at all, he just gets whats left.

I think the decision not to allow electronics or briquettes will greatly limit your potential field.

Again, not throwing rocks at your idea. I like the overall concept. Just trying to offer some food for thought.

The very fact that its a luck of the draw for who picks first on the meat is an instant turn off. Pay $400 and you may be the last team to pick and get the last 2 racks of crappy ribs with nothing but shinners. I'd be super pizzed. That's not a 'level' playing field, as you have said.

Yes, it's 'pitmaster'esq, but it's not a level playing field. I'm sure on Pitmasters they got 4 sets of VERY similar quality meat. That will be very difficult to do with 25 teams.

The size restriction will eliminate a lot of teams with trailers. The non-electricity will eliminate a lot of teams because that is the type of pits they have. No briquettes would eliminate a lot of teams. Now you're left with a very small pool of teams that you are trying to get to show up for about the same amount of money that they would spend to pick their own meats and have larger prize pools at other contests.

I think the idea of what you want to do is neat. But being so rigid and controlling the meats I think is likely to cause you to fail. In Pitmasters teams got national tv exposure and were cooking for a VERY large prize. Really, the way you've described it, I'd be paying for a crap shoot on getting decent meat, with tough restrictions on cooking, all for a group of non-certified judges.

My biggest complaint about KCBS is that there are too many restrictions. This seems to have more.
I dont understand why someone would want to sponsor a contest where the cooks were restricted from producing their best food. I would agree getting cooks off their game would be fun to watch for one category. But an intire contest is asking a lot for that amount of money. Draw 5 names out of a hat and have a friday night pitmaster'esq contest with your sausage. I will guarantee the other cooks will come up to watch.
As others have said, not condeming your idea just providing response to your question.
Good Luck to you.

I'm right in your backyard and I'd be interested. Honestly, though, looking at the limited prize payouts (3 spots) and the relatively high entry fee, I think you'd be better off going to a larger contest with more teams, yes, more payouts.

I'm interested, though, and would consider it.

Is it only a contest? Is there any other family entertainment around it? Could you do a KCBS contest adn then do an invitational in addition to it where you run your rules?

I live in the area as well and you have me interested. My biggest problem would be the possibility of picking the meat in the bottom 5. To get around this you could have more than 25 cuts of each catergory on hand. What wasn't used could be returned to the local store as long as you kept it cold. I like the idea and what you are trying to do. But the current meat idea you have would be a deal killer for me.

Interesting concept.

I can tell you that here in Georgia a $400 contest where only a 20x20 site with lights is allowed such as you describe it would be nearly impossible to get 25 teams to sign up. The majority of teams here use trailers, and they aren't going to face the Dixie heat without a fan if not air conditioning. Yes, there are some non-Pro guys that would do it, but they won't pay a $400 entry.

Obviously I can't speak for Kansas, but from my experience in the Southeast I'm guessing that you are going to have to loosen your restrictions to get your team quota.

The conditions you are suggesting are the same ones advocated by many who decry any technology, use of premium meats, and such all the time.
Especially during the winter months on the forums. :-D:-D

Only change I can see needed is some source of hot water for sanitation.

The complaints about meat selection are easily solved by just having a team member (or staff) reach into a cooler without looking and pulling out a chicken or whatever. Pure luck of the draw.

Good luck--should fill up easy it the "purists" actually want what they ask for. :-D

TIM

back to basics[SIZE=+0]?![/SIZE] so where exactly do you put the thermometer? :shock:
oh, by the way it's hard to find a mercury thermometer today.:wink:
sorry, couldn't resist.

Back