New BWS Party has arrived

The reason Rock doesn't have an adapter is because they don't work real good with the Back-Woods. One of the local teams here tried using one and with the type of air flow on the BW, they did not like it.

Good luck with your new additions. It's a great looking cooker.
Looking foreward to seeing all your pics.

Congrads JBR on the new smoker, looks great. I just got mine last year and love her. The charcoal box mod is a good one and makes the difference on long cooks. KCBobby's basket and mine are in this thread if you want some ideas. I am looking forward to seeing some of your first cook pics.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=488335#post488335

Isn't this what HBBQ has?
Yup Fin same one.

Did Mike go away from the butterfly exhausts on the Party? Seems like all the new photos I see have the slide top. The slider actually looks to have advantages.
Yeah he did away with them. Mike said he felt they didn't do much performance wise and that with the rising costs of steel & labor it was time to eliminate it. I understand he made the change back in mid 07'. My party did not come with the valve on it either. I really do not understand what difference either option really makes though. I cook with the slide open for most of the cook and my cooker runs at 225* for hours on end.

Congrads JBR on the new smoker, looks great. I just got mine last year and love her. The charcoal box mod is a good one and makes the difference on long cooks. KCBobby's basket and mine are in this thread if you want some ideas. I am looking forward to seeing some of your first cook pics.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=488335#post488335

Thanks for the firebox info. I have some expanded metal in the shed, will do that soon. What type of casters do you have on your Party? Factory? I can't decide if I want to put casters on it, or build some sort of cart/table similar to what the eggers use. The party will stay on my back patio 99% of the time (I think), and would be real nice if it was sitting on something that gave it side tables. I'll get to know the cooker better before I decide.

Mine has the factory casters on it and a handle on back of the cooker. They make it real easy to move around as each caster fully rotates and has it's own lock on it. I roll her out of the garage and down the sidewalk to our courtyard where I cook at. She is real stable with all of the casters locked down.

Mine has the factory casters on it and a handle on back of the cooker. They make it real easy to move around as each caster fully rotates and has it's own lock on it. I roll her out of the garage and down the sidewalk to our courtyard where I cook at. She is real stable with all of the casters locked down.

Ya, I would definitely get the casters if I was rolling it in and out of a garage all the time. I have a covered back patio where my grill and WSM sit year round. The Party will be taking the place of the WSM. I'm really hoping I can come up with some sort of cart/table to sit it on that gives me some side tables, we'll see.

The side table is a great idea, I'd love to see what you come up with. I set up a small 4x2 table next to my Party whenever I cook.

I build the electic chair to set my Party on. It raised the Party 17" off the ground so only minimal bending was needed during use - most of the shelves were about chest level. It could be built with a table to the side.

http://boondogglebbq.com/Pictures/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=1 - shows the height of the smoker on the stand - I'm 6'

http://boondogglebbq.com/Pictures/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=6 - shows the Party on the stand

Very nice. I am also 6', so the 17" you raised it should be perfect for me as well. I am definately going to raise it, and if I can come up with some sort of plan for a side table on at least one side I will do that as well. Thanks for the pics.

I think I read that you said that Party will go on your deck and pretty much not move. Getting 8 cinder blocks will also raise it nicely at a low cost, 2 layers of 4 blocks will raise it about 16" and will create a base of 24" wide and deep. If I remember correctly, the Party is 20 deep by 19 wide - give or take about an inch.

I build the electic chair to set my Party on. It raised the Party 17" off the ground so only minimal bending was needed during use - most of the shelves were about chest level. It could be built with a table to the side.
Great idea Bob, does any of the wood on the stand get charred from heat of the charcoal pan?

No infact, if you look at my pictures closely, you will see that a wood base was actually attached directly to the smoker. (I got this when I purchased the smoker, it was what the dealer used to mount the units to his trailer and I asked to keep it.)
The attached wood base was made from 2x4's and it allowed me to lag bolt the smoker directly to the wooden stand I built.

http://boondogglebbq.com/Pictures/albums/userpics/10001/backwoods_sm.JPG

The base was built out of 4x4's for the corners, 2 x 6's for the top, 2x4's as braces and 5/4" deck boards around the sides. It was all ACQ scraps from the deck I built. Bit of overkill, probably sturdy enough to land a Chinook on.

I also put a screw-type leveler in each corner so it wouldn't rock on unlevel surfaces and to maximize water pan capacity.

^^^^Awesome,that pic really shows how solid it is thanks. BTW the Busch light carton in the pic is reminding me that as I am typing this at work (2:50pm), beer thirty is just around the corner :lol:

No infact, if you look at my pictures closely, you will see that a wood base was actually attached directly to the smoker. (I got this when I purchased the smoker, it was what the dealer used to mount the units to his trailer and I asked to keep it.)
The attached wood base was made from 2x4's and it allowed me to lag bolt the smoker directly to the wooden stand I built.

http://boondogglebbq.com/Pictures/albums/userpics/10001/backwoods_sm.JPG

The base was built out of 4x4's for the corners, 2 x 6's for the top, 2x4's as braces and 5/4" deck boards around the sides. It was all ACQ scraps from the deck I built. Bit of overkill, probably sturdy enough to land a Chinook on.

I also put a screw-type leveler in each corner so it wouldn't rock on unlevel surfaces and to maximize water pan capacity.

I have the same base available, it was how they crated it. Have to dig the power tools out for first time in forever. Yours looks very nice and sturdy. Couple of questions:

I guess that rod sticking out of your exhaust is the butterfly valve listed as an upgrade on the website? Mine has a plate on top that I can slide to open and close the exhaust. Same function, different form?

Whats the deal with the foil!? Im guessing that it is to keep drippings off the bottom door, but I could be WAY wrong. :)

Yes, foil is to catch drippings. Not needed but nice to keep good eq clean.

Yes, that is the butterfly with the flex copper tube that lead to the water pan. I had it hooked up to a tube which lead to a 2 liter I dumped water in.

I'm late to the party (no pun intended), but congrats on your BWS. :cool: It looks like you'll be having your own party on the patio soon. :biggrin:

Back