New build... Mostly. (pics)

Update

Little bit of an update for ya'll. Made a big push night before last. We have a new piece of equipment coming today for work and needed the shop space. So I worked from 1700 to 0030 to get as much done in the bay before having to mover her outside. Got the weld out on the seams done, slides for the shelves, handle mounted, sleeves for the stack damper welded on, used a flap wheel to smooth out the exterior and paint. In between coats of paint I decided to know out the shelves too.

mIIrD3fh.jpg

1Z5Xjoih.jpg

ul2qM3jh.jpg

Vq1W8ryh.jpg

QIK49n1h.jpg

Thanks for lookiing.

I have to say I have been enjoying the progress on your smoker. I can tell the thought you are putting into it comes from years of experience.
I am looking forward to pics of the finished product with some blue smoke and a big hunk o beef!!!

I’m digging it. Is that lid gonna be counter weighted? Seems high off smoker when open ?

It's one of those thing that I haven't really decided on yet. I'm going to have to use it a bit before I decide. But probably not. It's lighter than the full clam shell that the old one had. But who knows, I may decide I want a counterweight after all. But that's just a little cutting, grinding, welding and a bit of paint. The height of the door when open is due to the long hinges. But they are that way because of where wanted the load to be when opening. And again I may change those too after some use.

I have to say I have been enjoying the progress on your smoker. I can tell the thought you are putting into it comes from years of experience.
I am looking forward to pics of the finished product with some blue smoke and a big hunk o beef!!!

Thanks! Well, no hunk of meat yet she does have a fire going in her right now! Burning it in and checking how I like the FB door configuration.

eHBDsMDl.jpg

Fyro8bZl.jpg

M8rn7F7l.jpg

We'll see what it looks like when it comes to temp.

Burn in/seasoning has been going for 3 hours now. It's really liking the 250-275 range, bumped it up to 300 a couple of times just to see what it would take to get there. at around 200 it a 5 degree difference end to end. But at 250ish it's a 25 degree difference which is what I'm used to. But the big change in this one vs. No.1 is that the stack end is the hotter and the FB end of the cooking chamber is the cooler.That is a complete 180 from before! The really nice thing about that is I don't have any unusable grate space. Also, that 8" stack really screams. So far I'm very happy!

inY28qkl.jpg

gPkjaWYl.jpg

Well I found a few pin hole that I need to weld up, still need to put the new rear wheels on, finish out the FB door trim and make and install the stack cap. But I has cooked. Did ribs the other night cook thread here: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278956

After getting it out of the trailer and getting it turned the right way it needed a little help getting back in.
HVDruaEl.jpg

RThePCnl.jpg

Back