THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
Did a post a couple weeks back about a new (free) score that will be our next build. Here is the tank w/ my son Kyle for perspective.
013_zpsdd18bab5.jpg

It's a water (well) tank, the kind with an air bladder inside, 24 inches in diameter and 50 inches tall, sitting on a 10 inch high ring base. Our initial plan is a vertical smoker with hinged doors, kind of a WSM on steroids, with the bottom 1/3 for the fire box & ash drawer and the top 2/3 for the smoke chamber with 3-4 cooking grates separated by a heat diffuser plate, probably 1/2 inch plate.

Question: With a 24 inch diameter, we are thinking about a round heat diffuser in the 20-22 inch diameter range (easier for us to cut with a torch than cutting a bunch of holes in 1/2 inch plate; do you think a 1-2 inch gap all the way around the perimeter (37 sq in or 72 sq in respectively) is enough for good heat distribution? Does anyone think the "formula" to size a firebox and the size of the connection to the cook chamber for an offset might be applicable?

And, yes we are privileged to live in a Blue Bell ice cream state!

Thanks for the help.

Good looking tank!

Thanks. It's apparently rare to have the air bladder fail (it's like a pressurized baloon that fills 1/2 the tank volume) in these things but when it does it's junk - no way to repair. One man's trash anothe man's treasure.

I like it. Plasma cutter and a Mig and away you go. I would consider making it look like a bomb or a rocket.
Good luck,

Wish I had a plasma but my oxy/acetlyene torch will do fine and we have a variety of welders. I like the idea of some kind of weapon theme.

Back