New Blackstone

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
So I decided to go get a Blackstone finally. WalMart has an excellent deal. Oh, how I hate WalMart... Went anyways and got a 22" with stand. Got to check out and the (6) lines had about 20-25 people in each one winding through different isles. After about 45min-hr in line I finally checked out. Oh, how I hate WalMart. Got home, opened her up and the griddle corners are a little roughed-up and griddle itself was a little sticky, as of something was spilt. I really don't want to go back to return it, but what do you guys think based on the pics. Told the wife, the $70 extra dollars to buy it somewhere else is well worth it, and the experience confirmed why I won't be back, unless it's to return this. Thanks for letting me vent....

Last edited:
There is a preseasoning or protective coating that is sticky…it’ll burn off. I wouldn’t worry about the fit and finish too much, won’t affect how it cooks. For a while sams had the 22” without stand for $99, pretty good deal.

There is a preseasoning or protective coating that is sticky…it’ll burn off. I wouldn’t worry about the fit and finish too much, won’t affect how it cooks. For a while sams had the 22” without stand for $99, pretty good deal.

That's what I figured as well... Thanks for your insight. I would have jumped on that for 99!

The 17" I had, the corners were sorta rough like that. And the tackiness is probably some sort of protective coating to keep the unseasoned steel from rusting between manufacture and sale. Personally, I'd wash it, dry it, and get to seasoning it. Congrats! Griddling is a lot of fun and I bet you'll find it to be a great tool.

Got to check out and the (6) lines had about 20-25 people in each one winding through different isles. After about 45min-hr in line I finally checked out. Oh, how I hate WalMart.

At least when they were open 24/7, you could go in at 6 AM and not have to deal with that. Next time, order online and do the pickup…

Salt Acid Heat & Meat=Good Times

Follow Seasoning instructions fry some bacon and onions and go.

You’ll get a Benjamin Of fun and great food the first couple of cooks

Sometimes, we have make sacrifices in order to enjoy the things we love. Enjoy your new griddle.

These griddles are like someone described golf”not a game of perfect “
What they are, are a fun way to cook with endless possibilities of great food. Seriously if it was the only cooker you owned you could eat pretty dang well with just a flat top

Try running a Walmart. The stories my friend tells......:-o

Yeah I'd just roll with it. If you think Walmart is bad, you haven't experienced Blackstone warranty yet! :wink:

I got a 22" from Amazon 2 weeks ago in just a little bit better shape than yours. As long as all the corners are sealed you should be ok.

I took an angle grinder to mine and smoothed everything out to appease my OCD. I'm also used to seasoning new and antique carbon steel/cast iron so I washed at high temp, scrubbed, and polished everything and then started the seasoning process. For the price it has been worth effort.

I will also only visit my local Walmart before 8AM on weekdays!

About 3 years ago, I bought the 28” on a cart with casters at Walmart for $77.
I don’t know if it was a sale or a mistake, but a pretty great deal nonetheless.

Corners just look like the guy doing the finish grinding was a little off. The griddles are coated with pre-seasoning. Just follow the seasoning instructions and you will be good to go. There is a little learning curve for dealing with wind/temp outside, but they are great. I have two.

So I seasoned it up this weekend. 4 coats of Blackstone seasoning then 2 of flax seed oil. The next day I made breakfast starting with 1.5lbs of bacon, proceeded by frozen potatoes O'Brien then pancakes and last an egg. I did notice quite a bit of the bacon sticking... Would I start the bacon when the grill is cold/warm? Cooked it on low according to the dials. I scraped the griddle in between the different items. I was extremely impressed with the egg not sticking. Any thoughts on what might have caused the bacon to stick? All comments are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the new Blackstone. As Adams states, if it were the only grill I owned I could cook a wide variety of meals on it.

Flaxseed gets mixed reviews. I initially seasoned mine with flaxseed and regretted it. Sticky, tacky, started to peel after a few months. I stripped it down and went with vegetable oil. So far, so good over a year later.

I noticed that Lowe's is now selling Blackstone. The one in stock seemed rather flimsy, at least as far as the lid. Wobbled and flexed way too much and seemed cheap. I wonder if Blackstone changes their models based on who sells it.

Anyway, enjoy your new griddle and have fun with it.

Congrats on the Blackstone!

RE: Sticking bacon. As noted above, could be that there was a high sugar content in the bacon. For me, heating the cooking surface first seems to help prevent sticking (when using a properly seasoned pan/griddle).

NOTE: The fact that the egg didn't stick suggests that the seasoning is getting there!

BTW: The best way to establish a solid seasoning foundation is to keep cooking. It's less about the specific oil/fat and more about the process of using the cooking surface.

Like Dom, I started off using flaxseed oil and had similar results. Had a decent amount of flaking and not great non-stick properties. Have been using veggie oil to cook and I think I've sort of replaced most of the original flaxseed seasoning with a base of veggie oil seasoning.

Enjoy your new cooker!

Bruce

No Blackstone here but lots of cast iron and steel.
Everyone says fry bacon to season. I call BS. Sugars burn and must be scrubbed away. After some time bacon will not stick but it's not a way to season a new surface.

And on the flaxseed oil...Works great but it's not very durable. Chips and flakes away. I quit using it and have no more problems.

Back