KpaxFAQ

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Kory
TLDR cliff notes:
-Assassin is a great company to deal with
-Smoker performs excellent, zero regrets on purchase
-If you're considering one they're awesome, buy it

Well after 6 years of cooking on my WSM 22 and many great meals I decided to swing for the fences after determining I'm truly dedicated to this hobby for life. A man's gotta eat right?

I had purchased my WSM22 by emptying my spare change jar and hadn't used charcoal in my life just a gasser and really cut my teeth on it. Made many mistakes in the beginning and by the last few years was turning out some great food. I don't post a lot here but luckily sites like this taught me almost everything I know as I silently absorbed the information. I never dreamt I'd be able to afford any of these smokers I've lusted after for years so soon but years of frugality, combined with good fortune getting a much better job several years ago made it all come together. A wife's blessing always helps too :)

Originally, I was pretty sure I was going to own a Yoder pellet unit. Then I learned enough about Pellet grills to decide they weren't the direction I'm looking for. Then I was sure I was going to get a Shirley Stick burner to the point I contacted Tyler and found out the longer wait times than usual. Then I was looking at other offerings such as Lang, Lonestarz, etc. Then I looked in the mirror, did some deep thinking, and was honest with myself. As much as I want to tend a fire and play with a big bad stick burner I have a family with a young kid, I'm an overtime hound at work, and we're just going to get busier as Jr. gets older and more involved. I'd like something as set and forget as my WSM was but with much more space. Also, I wanted something that could run on standard easy to acquire fuel such as charcoal briquettes that was built for a lifetime and low maintenance. I also live in one of the snow capitals of the country so insulated is a bonus for efficiency and stability.

Then I came across gravity-fed smokers and settled on a 24" unit from Assassin. It was incredibly easy to customize how I wanted it and it arrived at my house in 7 weeks after an 8 week quote. Jeff, and Rachel were great to deal with.

Now that I'm off from work on an emergency only on-call basis I've been really putting it through the paces after about a month of ownership. Using a weed burner barely running I can get it lit in 5 minutes and up to temp with the pit-viper and fireboard drive in 45 min or so. I leave the remaining charcoal in the chute after each cook and relight/top off because it is used so frequently. I'd pull the grate and empty if for extended storage.

I had a little bit of a learning curve to figure out the best way to load the ashtray with wood to get the smoke I'm looking for when I want it but have settled on loading it as full as I can with mini-splits and really poking the coals so a lot of fresh hot embers fall on the wood 5 minutes before loading food. This gives me perfect thin blue for around 2-2.5 hours. I don't need to add anymore wood after that. I've read the threads of people complaining about not enough smoke flavor, or the wood just catches fire and turns to fuel. I experienced those issues at the beginning. My user error was just putting the wood in and it would completely dry then ignite. I wouldn't have the smoke at want when the food went on. Or I lightly tapped the grate and didn't get enough embers to fall on the wood to get it going quickly. Again, I didn't have the right smoke I wanted when the food went on. The smoke flavor is so much cleaner than what I got off my WSM. It tastes much more like food I've ate off a stick burner. I'm rather critical of my own bbq and the st louis cut ribs I did yesterday I really can't imagine how anyone on earth could cook them any better.

I did a butt the other day and it took close to 11hrs unwrapped at 250 and I used about half a chute. In my WSM I used a wide array of lump and briquettes. In this assassin it burns so clean that I've had great results with briquettes. Both KBB and Home depot Embers (Royal Oak) briquettes. I can't tell any flavor difference between lump and briquettes. I was hoping for this as I'm tired of having to mail order to get decent lump as my local options are limited.

Another things I learned. Make sure you have the lid-open-detection on your controller activated. I'd overshoot temp by 20-30 degrees and it would take a whole hour to come back down because it holds heat so well. I toyed with the fireboard drive settings and settled on keeping the fan off for 4 minutes after the door is opened and it gradually comes back up to temp with no overshoot in short order.

I got 2 extra shelves added for increased rib and chicken capacity if it's ever needed. I got oversized no-flat casters for easy moving and all stainless hardware and latches.

Bottom line: If you're looking at a Gravity-Fed cooker, yes, they're worth the money. They perform as advertised, and Assassin is a great company to deal with. Hopefully some of my growing pains using a completely new smoker design can help another person down the road!

Attachments

• 90756654_10102139279568975_853972333193330688_o.jpg
    90756654_10102139279568975_853972333193330688_o.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 325
  • 90880743_10102139279489135_8585933314567700480_o.jpg
    90880743_10102139279489135_8585933314567700480_o.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 322
Many thanks Kpax for the write-up. I have always been curious this model.

Can you show photo of the splits in the ashtray? Also, not sure I understood what you meant here:
“ My user error was just putting the wood in and it would completely dry then ignite.”

Do you mean you put the splits in too soon?

Many thanks Kpax for the write-up. I have always been curious this model.

Can you show photo of the splits in the ashtray? Also, not sure I understood what you meant here:
“ My user error was just putting the wood in and it would completely dry then ignite.”

Do you mean you put the splits in too soon?

Below is attached a pic of the mini 6” splits I use. I meant I loaded the wood in and didn’t knock a bunch of hot embers on top thinking it would start burning and smoking on its own from being close to the red hot coals. Instead it did nothing until it got hot enough to just ignite and turn to fuel providing little smoke after about an hour. By then the food had already started warming and as learned with the science of smoke on amazing ribs the smoke at the beginning of the cook is what matters.

Attachments

• FAE8435D-B320-4BE0-B4FC-03DC29EFA87E.jpg
    FAE8435D-B320-4BE0-B4FC-03DC29EFA87E.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Congrats on the new smoker & great write-up!

I was lucky enough to land a lightly used Assassin 24, at a great price, about 4 years ago. I too could not be happier with it, zero complaints. The learning curve is minor, and I think it produces great Q. I too use splits in the ash pan, sometimes smaller ones like you did, but I’ve also put one big split in, with great results.

I also have a stick burner, WSM and multiple kettles. Due to work, kids activities and life, the Assassin and kettles get the most work. The Assassin is so fuel efficient, I don’t mind firing it up just to do 1 butt or a few ribs. I’ve also done 90+ pounds of pork in it with no issue as well. Overall it’s a great cooker IMO.

Congrats on the new smoker & great write-up!

I was lucky enough to land a lightly used Assassin 24, at a great price, about 4 years ago. I too could not be happier with it, zero complaints. The learning curve is minor, and I think it produces great Q. I too use splits in the ash pan, sometimes smaller ones like you did, but I’ve also put one big split in, with great results.

I also have a stick burner, WSM and multiple kettles. Due to work, kids activities and life, the Assassin and kettles get the most work. The Assassin is so fuel efficient, I don’t mind firing it up just to do 1 butt or a few ribs. I’ve also done 90+ pounds of pork in it with no issue as well. Overall it’s a great cooker IMO.

You bring up a great point I didn't mention. I wanted a smoker with big capacity but at the same time was logical to fire up for a single family cook. This thing will make a great oven too. I like to bake bread and with no smoke wood I could crank out quite a few loaves at the same time for the holidays and such.

I have been looking at a gravity or an insulated cabinet cooker for a while. I think this lock down is going to cancel our vacation so this will be a nice consolation purchase. Thanks for the write up on the 24 specifically. About how much was it to have it shipped? I'm in southwestern Pa.

i have been looking at a gravity or an insulated cabinet cooker for a while. I think this lock down is going to cancel our vacation so this will be a nice consolation purchase. Thanks for the write up on the 24 specifically. About how much was it to have it shipped? I'm in southwestern pa.

$390

Congrats! :-D

I've had my Assassin 24 for 4 years now, and I still smile every time I fire it up..........great food on the way. :-D

I have really been looking at the gravity fed units lately and I know that I want one. The Assassin looks like such a solid unit. I look forward to seeing anything else you want to share as you use it. Nice purchase!

Congratulations on your new Assassin. I bought my Assassin 24 in 2014 and I absolutely love it.

I noticed that your firebox (and Dom Mazzetti's) are on the side. Mine is on the back. Is that something you requested? I did notice the pictures on the Assassin website show them on the side.

I wonder what was the reason for the change? Just curious.

Enjoy!

Congratulations on your new Assassin. I bought my Assassin 24 in 2014 and I absolutely love it.

I noticed that your firebox (and Dom Mazzetti's) are on the side. Mine is on the back. Is that something you requested? I did notice the pictures on the Assassin website show them on the side.

I wonder what was the reason for the change? Just curious.

Enjoy!

It was a free customization option when purchased. It doesn’t affect operation in any way. I wanted to be able to access the firebox with it against a wall and a certain spot I’ll use it a lot will be a corner with left hand open was best for me.

Awesome write up and congrats on a beautiful smoker. I have dreamed of a LSG IVC, but you are making this Assassin gravity fed smoker look good!

Back