THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No problem. Anthony will post on his own once he gets approved. Thanks to All

Christene

Anthony, you did also mention a good point about new competitions, especially those
in areas not quite so populated with trained judges, and that it's tough to get a whole
field of trained and experienced judges for first-time comps and many second-time
comps. While I'm right hear dead center of LOTS of BBQ and competitions, many new
competitions spring up literally a few hours drive away from any other one and a few
hours away from a judging base (if you will). First time it can really be hit-and-miss.
However, most, if they survive to the 3rd year or so, seem to settle in with judges.
Heck, in Vienna they even CHARGE judges to judge the competition. That was my
LAST year judging Big Pig Jig, but that's another story altogether.

Anthony, good to see your joining the Bretheren.

Only thing I ever even wondered about the barcode system, which I think is slick as all #(*#, is the last time verification at turn in.

As I said before, my wife ask me "How do they know" we talked about it a bit, I explained what I have been told about the system.

We use a barcode system where I work, I actually used to help maintain it. Large SQL server database, over 10,000 people in it now.

Bar codes read in-correctly sometimes, it happens, $15 bag of chips at the store. the only thing that I can see lacking at all, is the person holding the scanner, turning to the entrant, reading the name back to them, so that everyone is certain that the code, the number, the box and the team, all jive.

That was all i ever had, and more of a wonder than anything else. Seems like an easy step, maybe not...

As I already said, your gals did a great job! My vent was boiled Brisket, and hoping that people, judges or not, could tell the difference. Not between my entry, but the 25 entries that he beat. Never did I attack you guys. You helped us have a really great comp over here, and I thank you again.

Sorry that someone tried to turn this around again, the only reason I dont post on your forum anymore.

I have recieved several private messeges and a few emails, wondering why another member took suck a defensive stance toward this post.

I think he took it personaly, although I am at a lose why he did.

Thanks once more...

Well at least yer not a chi-mo... I have to admit (since this is Daddys Butt Rub's thread) that I didn't actually meet Jeff of Daddys Butt Rub. Because I was afraid of his team banner... It says "Nobody rubs your butt like daddy!". I kept thinking, "that's only slightly better than saying "Nobody rubs you FRONT like daddy!"".

Jus' sayin Jeff... :becky:

I wish I would have had 100 tee shirts, I would have sold them all...

jus' sayin

I am not familiar with this head judge concept of which you speak, please clarify. I have never judged a contest where there was a designated head judge, just table captains, reps and judges.
Dave

8) Finally, because at the end of the day the head judge is responsible for scores and results, they get an eyeball review.

I am not familiar with this head judge concept of which you speak, please clarify. I have never judged a contest where there was a designated head judge, just table captains, reps and judges.
Dave

8) Finally, because at the end of the day the head judge is responsible for scores and results, they get an eyeball review.

Dave, A PNWBA Head Judge is the equivalent of a KCBS rep.

f
As a final bit of soapbox to all my fellow BBQers:
This is a hobby. It is a wonderful, fun, friendly hobby that many people are passionate about. But at the end of the day, it is still a hobby with a relatively small community. Get fired up about (and in?) your barbecue. Don't get fired up about each other. Let the flames light the pits, not emotions. (Wow! Upon re-reading that is a lot more poetic than I planned!)
Finally, the internet - and forums in particular - are a horrible way to communicate.
Anthony

On the contrary, there are a lot of teams that sacrifice a lot to compete. It is not just a hobby to some. An organizer should know this.

Finally, the internet has made a lot of BS, just that, BS. And it has helped a lot of people overcome BS. Don't disparage our communication between brothers here. We help each other overcome BS. That's the beauty of the intrwebz!

Respectfully (since it seems that's what the PNWBBQA, is about even for members.)

Tha' Pimp.

On the contrary, there are a lot of teams that sacrifice a lot to compete. It is not just a hobby to some. An organizer should know this.

Finally, the internet has made a lot of BS, just that, BS. And it has helped a lot of people overcome BS. Don't disparage our communication between brothers here. We help each other overcome BS. That's the beauty of the intrwebz!

Respectfully (since it seems that's what the PNWBBQA, is about even for members.)

Tha' Pimp.

Bryan,

No longer a hobby, but an obsession or a passion, Yes?:thumb: How would you describe it beyond the point of being a hobby? I'd love to hear your take on it.

Thanks.

Bob

LOL. Some of us use standard IRS type of definition(s), so unless it's your primary source
of income, pays the mortgage, car payments, food, light bills, it's a hobby, even if it
has "income", regardless of passion or investment, it's a hobby.

Bryan,

No longer a hobby, but an obsession or a passion, Yes?:thumb: How would you describe it beyond the point of being a hobby? I'd love to hear your take on it.

Thanks.

Bob

Let me try this one,

You can be passionate about your hobby, or even obsessed by it.

Like LD said, its still a hobby unless it is your primary source of income. Then its a job.

Ive never met anyone that was obsessed or passionate about thier job.

Jeff

Let me try this one,

You can be passionate about your hobby, or even obsessed by it.

Like LD said, its still a hobby unless it is your primary source of income. Then its a job.

Ive never met anyone that was obsessed or passionate about thier job.

Jeff

Many different perspectives here - interesting! If I could do BBQ full time as my job I think the passion I currently hold would definitely carry over. I met Rod Gray (Pellet Envy) this past weekend when I was down in Jeffersonville judging. BBQ in various forms is his main source of income and he sure seems passionate about it! Great guy by the way with lots of good advice for young competitors.

Back