Need to make some Wizz Bang Ribs for the 3rd.

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
I normally just do ribs for the Wife and I or small groups of relatives. The Family has grown some what with a couple of Nephews getting married and such. I'm only doing 3 racks on the WSM the day before as I'll also be doing burgers and dogs.

I've been doing St. Louis cuts but will be buying just off the hog full spares this time. Been thinking about trimming the spares and leaving them longer this time cutting off the very thinnest parts.

How do you trim for full spares? Do you just leave them whole?

Also looking for any other ways to smoke them. I'll be using Pecan wood. I've been doing them 2.5 hours @ 275*F smoked, 1.5 hours foiled with butter and beer and .5 hour with a light coat of BBQ sauce.

What would you do different?

Thanks for any and all input.

I trim my full spares to be St. Louis cut. Trim right through the cartilage on the thick side and trim off the thinnest parts. I do mine 3-3.5 hours open and then 1 maybe 1.5 hour wrapped and then unrap until done. I started using that crack sauce found on the site.....Honey, Butter, Brown sugar and BBQ sauce...It is awesome. Baste in crack sauce and wrap. After unwrapping when almost done then use even more of the crack sauce to finish. Of course you need to like sweet and sticky for these.....just search for crack sauce to get the estimated amounts of each. I just threw some of all the ingredients until it tasted good...Forgot I cook low and slow 225 maybe 250 and ribs take close to 6 hours depending on the size.

I know a definite way to do some wizz bang ribs on the roti but my stuff to do it wouldn't be ready in time for you. Watching racks of ribs spin out in the open is very cool and a crowd pleaser...Also very delicious to eat!

I'll tell you what I would do though Mike, check this out. I did some of these on the early stages of the 007 and they were INCREDIBLE.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB-3USJHQ1I"]Bacon Crusted Spare Ribs recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube[/ame]

I haven't done these but they look good too.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM0rLo5RBew"]Baby Back Bacon Ribs recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube[/ame]

I know a definite way to do some wizz bang ribs on the roti but my stuff to do it wouldn't be ready in time for you. Watching racks of ribs spin out in the open is very cool and a crowd pleaser...Also very delicious to eat!

I'll tell you what I would do though Mike, check this out. I did some of these on the early stages of the 007 and they were INCREDIBLE.

Bacon Crusted Spare Ribs recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube

I haven't done these but they look good too.

Baby Back Bacon Ribs recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube

That is for sure Wizz Bang Kieth! I'll bet it's killer on the 007! Thanks!

I trim off any scraps that would just go to waste and throw them in a ziplock bag in the freezer to run through the food processor to make meatloaf. I pull the membrane off the rest and cook without checking at around 250 deg for 4-4 1/2 hours, then check using the toothpick test.

I trim my full spares to be St. Louis cut. Trim right through the cartilage on the thick side and trim off the thinnest parts. I do mine 3-3.5 hours open and then 1 maybe 1.5 hour wrapped and then unrap until done. I started using that crack sauce found on the site.....Honey, Butter, Brown sugar and BBQ sauce...It is awesome. Baste in crack sauce and wrap. After unwrapping when almost done then use even more of the crack sauce to finish. Of course you need to like sweet and sticky for these.....just search for crack sauce to get the estimated amounts of each. I just threw some of all the ingredients until it tasted good...Forgot I cook low and slow 225 maybe 250 and ribs take close to 6 hours depending on the size.

I searched for this mystical crack sauce but I can't find a recipe. Anyone got the original link or a recipe?

I searched for this mystical crack sauce but I can't find a recipe. Anyone got the original link or a recipe?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228796

You can mix it up any way you see fit but here's my rundown.

Butter is about 1 TBS for a st louis rack or loinbacks. About 2 for full spares.
For sugar Id guess a quarter cup, its enough to cover the rack in a thin layer.
Honey probably 2 large spoons full. Substitute the honey with agave nectar, preserves or any sweetner you like.

Whatever that base comes out to i add at least an equal amount of bbq sauce (this time was some flavor of Stubbs).

I finish with hot sauce for balance. In Detroit hot sauce means Franks Red Hot but this time i went with sriracha. Maybe 2 or 3 TBS

The whole mix is about .75 a cup and covers a full rack of spares

This is what I originally found for Crack Sauce:

2 Tablespoons butter (I used about half a stick)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 large spoonfuls of honey
equal amount of BBQ sauce (based on what the above ingredients made in sauce)

Mix on the stove.......

We've tried a ton of rubs and sauces Mike but for ribs we keep coming back to Head Country Sweet and Spicy rub sauced with Head Country Chipotle sauce, it's just a killer combo!

As far as trimming goes, I see no reason to buy full spares and then trim them to STL, there is a lot of good eats cut off that way. I just cut the thin ends off to square up a bit then cut the thin flap off of the belly end, then strip the membrane off the back.

I like to cook naked (noooo not me, the ribs) 275°/325° for roughly 3 1/2 ~ 4 1/2 hours or until they pass the bend test. When they are close to being done I sauce them and let the sauce set for 15 or 20 minutes so it's thick and sticky, but my crew prefers wet ribs. If yours don't just go dry until done.

Trim the spares up after you cook them. Also don't mess with perfection, especially if you are cooking for other people. Cook the way you usually do and they will be perfect. Trying out the peach rub is change enough.....just my opinion.

I like to trim before and cook the tips with the ribs and then eat/serve the tips as they are ready about an hour or so before the ribs are. Like an appetizer waaaay before the meal, lol.

I watched the bacon encrusted rib video above and will have to give those a go sometime. One thing that stood out to me though is I noticed he put the cooked bacon on what appeared to be the same cutting board he seasoned the raw ribs on. I hope from a food safety perspective that either it was a different board, or it was washed in between.

I guess it might not matter since the bacon went back on the fire, but why take the chance.

Back