Need suggestions for making a prime rib

When you let it rest before putting it in the 500 degree oven where was it resting. As in did you wrap it up and put it in a cooler?

When you put it back in the oven to bring it back up to temp, do you pull it out and carve it up, or do you pull it out and let it rest again for 30 minutes and then carve it up?

Wasn't me, but I'll answer anyway.

He didn't reheat it in the 500 degree oven. He only had it in there for 10 minutes to be sure the outside wasn't soft. Ten minutes (even at 500 degrees) isn't going to reheat a loin.

His loin was kept warm for the 2 hours while it rested and didn't need reheating.

So I'm sure he sliced it pretty soon after the 10 minute, 500 degree sauna. No resting required.

Not to hijack, but I'm doing my first in a BGE this Sunday, about how much time are we talking about to get an IT of 120-125 for 6-8 lb'r. Just wondering when I need to start it.

Tod

Here is what I do for 9 people, actually, I have also done a rub with crushed garlic, then kosher salt and medium grind black pepper. I figure on 1lb at least, person bone-in.

Cooler Method or another way?

He doesn't say so I can't speculate.

For "me" I have always rested in a cooler...unwrapped. Use a small cooler and keep the lid closed. It'll stay nice and cozy for hours and hours.

Be sure the cooler is clean. LOL

I like to rub mine with LOTS of garlic, fresh dill, coriander seed, EVOO, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. I make a paste in the food processor, then slather it all. Smoke until it reaches about 110 then REVERSE SEAR for awesome crusty exterior until it reaches 130 internal.

I usually do a lot bigger one than you're talking about, but I'm usually cooking for 14-16 people too.

Here's one from last year or the year before. It was about a 14 lb'er bone-in that the butcher cut off the bone and tied back up for me:
IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

I like to rub mine with LOTS of garlic, fresh dill, coriander seed, EVOO, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. I make a paste in the food processor, then slather it all. Smoke until it reaches about 110 then REVERSE SEAR for awesome crusty exterior until it reaches 130 internal.

I usually do a lot bigger one than you're talking about, but I'm usually cooking for 14-16 people too.

Here's one from last year or the year before. It was about a 14 lb'er bone-in that the butcher cut off the bone and tied back up for me:
IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

Looks great!

What temp are you cooking at and about how long do you estimate cook time per pound?

If I go to the butcher do I ask for prime rib or is it called by another name

Happy Easter All:

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I started with a roasted garlic paste and a Szeged Steak Rub. I did the reverse sear method. I had an 8 pound roast and decided to set my BGE at 225. After about 3.5 hours it was at 128. I pulled it and stuck it in a cooler until our family had all arrived. That was around 90 minutes after I had pulled it from the egg and temp had risen and held at 140. I put it in the oven at 500 for around 8 minutes. I used about 1/2 cup of apple and a 1/2 cup of cherry with one chunk of hickory. Everyone loved the smoke flavor and commented on how they like the subtle smoke that wasn't overpowering. I feel like it was really the perfect doneness for our group.

Last edited:
Just who is it that "know no better?" If you like it almost raw, 125F internal will be good.

A 6 pound rib roast serves a lot of people and not everyone likes rare beef. At 135 F internal at the center, you can serve rare and medium rare.

I agree, for what it's worth. Salt, pepper, garlic, indirect heat at 350 to an internal temp of 135.

Back