Need someone to give my antique smoker a home

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
Brethren,
I am moving and need to downsize in a huge way. So, my first smoker needs to go, but it is a little unusual and has an interesting story. In the 1970's my dad won a Redi-Smoke Old Smokey smoker as a door prize. He did not know what to do with it but his parents wanted it. When we were cleaning out my grandparents house we found it still new in the box. I had never smoked anything before so my dad told me to take it. This started a long road that leads to where I am today. :-D

I tried to get it working but it was tripping the GCFI outlet. I found out that the company is still in business and they still make this model. http://www.seafoodcaddy.com/Products/OSES/oldsmokeyelectricsmoker.html
I sent and email asking if they knew what was going on and got a reply at 8:30 that night. The owner was very helpful and explained how the insulation on the heating element, that separates the hot and neutral, broke down over time and was leaking current. He then walked my through how to custom install a new heating element and cord with a controller built in. He also instructed me on how to best use the smoker.

It actually worked pretty good. I learned how to smoke fish, pork, chicken, and made a hit with a smoked bone in turkey breast for thanksgiving. It is where I cut my teeth learning how to do this and it cooks faster than normal because it holds in steam.

So, it is free to a fellow brethern who would like to try out a real antique smoker. I am on the Illinois side of St Louis.

Mods, I am sorry if this is not the right spot for this. I figured since it is not for sale it did not need to go into the sales page. If I am wrong please move it.

Could you ship it to the new place?
I could, but we have way to much stuff. The original shipping quote killed us, so we have taken truckloads to goodwill. We are pack rats with way to many hobbies.

If a brethren would take it I would love for it to go to someone who would use it.

Do you know what the temp range is on it? It looks like the newer models go up to 400+

If a Chicago area/northern member wants it I could get it back to the Springfield, IL area. I will be in Troy soon to pick up a demo drum. Just a thought.

It should since out had the new element. I have never run out that hi. But half way on the dial controller is 225 in the barrel.

I am in Petersburg. If you are in Springfield, I will take it. Have a buddy at work that would likely put it to use. Let me know and perhaps we can set something up.

Hey Paul, how bad do you want it? We are going on vacation next week driving up to Chicago and will be passing right through St. Louis. Now I can't have it as my wife would forcibly remove my head from my spine but depending on demensions, the possibility does exist that I could pick it up for you on our way back to Texas...

Hey Paul, how bad do you want it? We are going on vacation next week driving up to Chicago and will be passing right through St. Louis. Now I can't have it as my wife would forcibly remove my head from my spine but depending on demensions, the possibility does exist that I could pick it up for you on our way back to Texas...

It is 17x17x33 and it weighs probably 10 to 15 pounds.

Back